Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Neurpothy pain in feet.
MJW6316 posted:
I suffer chronic pain from Neuropothy in my feet. Symptoms include 'contraction pain' where it feels as if there is a belt tightening around my toes and ball of foot areas. Burning, sharp jabbing and constant numbing. I've had it for over 5 yrs now and have tried a dozen or so non-narcotic meds like Gabapentin and nothing has an impact except narcotic pain killers. Currently I'm on Fentanyl patches and percs for breakthrough pain that I take sparenly. I have tried every alternative treatment I could find such as Chiropractor, Acupuncture, UV light treatment and several others. Today, my Dr. said that there may be a process to 'deaden' the nerves effected from the point of the spinal cord. Does anyone know anything about this type of treatment for Neuropoty? What is the medical terminology for this type of treatment?

davedsel responded:
Hello.

The procedure is called "Radio Frequency Ablation". The term "Rhizotomy" is also used.

Here is a link to some general information WebMD has on this procedure (RFA): http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/radiofrequency-ablation

I did an internet search and could not find information using RFA for foot pain as you describe. Sites I did find were for various surgery and/or pain treatment centers and were not objective. You could do a more extensive search using the terms I mentioned.

My wife has had rhizotomy for lower back pain that proved successful for several months. You need to do your research and decide if this procedure would benefit you and help your pain.

I pray you can find answers and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Cinda225 responded:
I also have neuropathy and when I was put on Lyrica for fibromyalgia I noticed by foot pain disappeared. Staying on my feet for long periods still hurts but not like before. It's the only thing that's helped me because the norco only lasts so long and doesn't numb iit the same way.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.