Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Been on them for yrs and not addicted
MJW6316 posted:
Wow Chris, what a hassle huh? I've dealt with chronic pain for over 8 yrs and I'd like to share some insight. I believe the key to safely taking opiates over a long period is moderation and discipline. When my pain strikes I force myself to ice it and wait at least an hour before popping a perc or two. In many cases the pain subsides enough in a hour to carry on. So, don't be anxious to pop a pill. Your tolerance will increase if you overdo it. Also, at your level of pain, the helpful effects of opiates will subside over time. After several years of daily pain of maybe a 5 with spikes of 8 level pain every so often. After several yrs. my Dr. put me on Methadone--which is more appropriate for the long-term pain. I hated it and it's really tough to get off them. My Dr. tried to wean me off them but it was still torcherous so I just went cold turkey. Those couple days were awfull. Then, my Dr. prescribed the Fentynl patch It works well and I still have something to take for breakthrough pain (I still use ice and wait an hour). The idea is NOT wanting to take pain killers and only doing so when it's absolutely necessary. I have also tried every alternative treatment I could find from research. Have you tried physical therapy, acupuncture, yoga, UV light treatment, Chiropractor, etc? How about injections? Herb? They're all pretty safe. Be careful of scams though. I also recommend meditation. There are some great books on mindfulness that are worth reading. Hang in there bud and I hope you find what works best for you.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.