Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Neck pain/Migraines- New to the group!
Anon_53514 posted:
Hi there, I am new to this forum and am looking for support. I have been working with a pain management Dr for about 4 months now. I used to show horses and was thrown quite a bit. I am pretty bad arthritis in my cervical. I get the worst neck spasms every day that feel like knots under my skin all along my shoulders that extends into my neck. Once it gets bad enough i get horrible migraines. My dr has been doing trigger point injections in those areas with a lidocaine solution (no steroids) and does Occipital nerve blocks to help with the migraines. Im posting today because I feel like I am getting no relief. This is starting to really make me feel depressed and impact my life including family and work. I take pain meds daily as well as flexeril at night. Im getting immune to the pain meds and in my opinion the flexeril does nothing but make me drowsy. Does anyone out there have anything in common with what I am going through? Please any insight would be appreciated, my Dr is great but I feel like theres got to be something else out there to help me.

77grace responded:
Hi There and Welcome.I('m glad you found us !)
I am definatly qualified to relate to you about neck problems and headaches !!
I have suffered with these and other back problems for over 20 years !!!
Recently my headaches are worse again and seem to be almost everyday!
Even through I have tried a lot of meds and I am on a lot !I still think a good ice3 neck wrap or ice packs help a lot !!
I say that because lately nothing else is helping very much !!!
Please feel free to get back to me I'm Here for you and I do have more good to say !But running out of time
Blessings ,777gracie

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Hi there and welcome! While trigger point injections can help painful muscle knots, there are other things that can be tried that you can discuss with your doctors. Physical therapists could try the following techniques on you problem:
  • Myofascial release: This is deep tissue work to loosen tight muscles.
  • Neuromuscular re-education: This would involve working on body mechanics and posture that might be aggravating the problem.
  • Therapeutic exercises: Retraining the right muscle groups may help reduce tension in others that are over exerting themselves.

Other treatments to consider include acupuncture, topical agents, and getting a foam roller or theracane to work out the muscles on your own at home. Muscles around the upper shoulders and neck frequently tense up when we are under stress, so considering employing some stress management skills like using exercise, breathing techniques, or meditation to help calm things down.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.