Skip to content
Chronic debilitating pain and copd - what to do about meds???
painlady1113 posted:
Spine surgery with cage and hardware May 2006 left me in chronic pain: Fibromyalgia, nerve pain, lots of arthritis. Constant pain. I am on Duragesic patch 100 mcg and oxycodone 60-80 mg a day. Not enough to control pain but pain doc won't give me more or any additional meds to take with what I have. Quality of life sucks.

I have COPD. No oxygen but I am on four medications for lungs. All contain steroids which just make my pain worse. Every day, worse. Doctor will not give me oxygen. Says I don't need it. But since breathing is difficult, I am always more tired than I need to be. The fatigue is bad. Quality of life sucks.

Question: I don't want to take steroid meds anymore. They are so bad for my pain level. I was thinking...what if I had oxygen and antibiotics. Would they work on helping me breath and protecting my lungs? Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone have a solution for not taking breathing meds? Theft are all inhaled. All four are steroidal. I am desperate.
77grace responded:
Hi painlady1113 ,
Sorry to hear that you are so miserable !I understand the desperation ,I also suffer from chronic pain !I'm sure you understand why your Dr. can't give you more drugs, you are on a lot of narcotic's and your tolerance is probally like mine ,Bad !Maybe you could ask him about switching from the patch to something else that is strong also !Just trying a different medication can sometimes make a difference !
Take care ,77grace
painlady1113 replied to 77grace's response:
Grace, what are you on for pain control? And do you have copd?

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.