Skip to content
pain across body after surgery
senderke posted:
In 2010 i had a back surgery L5-S1 after doctors searching for more then 4 years.
After the surgery the original pain got worse. I also got slowly started getting new symptoms. and the more I think about it, the more i feel like there has developed some sort of condition that creates pain or amplifies existing pain/ nerve signals.

And i would like the help of this community so that maybe i could better guide my doctors in providing me with a solution!

Some of the new symptoms are:

- since january: right leg (above knee) has gone numb, but at the same time is overly sensitive. simple touch, or clothes give pain!
- vibrations create pain. (sitting in car, heavy truck driving by...)
- nagging pain in arms, wrists, top of hand (tendons), base of thumb... (these things should in no way be related to L5-S1)
- "pressure" from headphones against ears/head give discomfort/ pain.
- Pinky/ring finger frequently get numb, tingling, white (bad bloodflow?)
- Trouble finding words, forgetting what i was saying half way in a sentence.
- "irritation" from loud/ sharp noises (some scooters, things like that) ... (i don't mean that it gets on my nerves, but it's irritation like pain)
- the opposite of "restless leg syndrome". there are moments where i have to keep my feet/legs still, moving just a hair gives unbelievable & continues shiver like sensations in the nerves.
since my doctors seem to focus on the location of the surgery, i really hope someone here recognizes these symptoms and can maybe give suggestions as to what the cause might be.

Then i can suggest this or something similar to my doctors.

Hopefully everything is understandable.
Thank you all for your time & help.. [br>

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

IMHO, it is your doctor's job to diagnose what is causing your symptoms and recommend effective treatment plans. You should not be recommending possible causes to your doctor. Have you had a recent spinal MRI or CT scan? That will be the place your doctor starts first. You can emphasize all your symptoms so the doctor focuses on more than one area of your spine. Create a document listing these symptoms and give it to your doctor at your appointment. It sounds to me like you do need diagnostic testing of your entire spine to obtain an accurate and complete diagnosis.

You can and should do your own research by going to websites that have information about spinal problems and their solutions. Here are some links:

WebMD Back Pain Center: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/default.htm

Spine Universe: http://www.spineuniverse.com

Spine-Health: http://www.spine-health.com

I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

senderke replied to davedsel's response:
Thank you for replying.

The reason i'm asking these thing is because every time i feel that my doctors are focussing on that spine, and ending up empty handed.

Maybe there's someone out there that recognizes this and might suggest something very far from what my doctors are looking at.

MRI was in april, last week i had 3 photo's and 2 SPECT CT's
(don't know any results yet) as a last resort they ordered these to look for pseudo artritis. but since they where not optimistic about it....

The main problem is that there are so many symptoms when i hand over my pain journal and i also doubt that searching for it all on the internet would generate anything helpful.

especially about spinal problems. L5-S1 should have nothing to do with arms, fingers or electric tingling in my teeth.

but when i could say to them for example:
"doc, could you please look into something CRPS or fybro, because when you look at my pain journal: -extreme sensitivity/ pain from touch, clothes... -pain in places not related to original injury (arms, wrists, thumb...) -sensitivity to vibrations....."

then i am not just handing them a paper with 100 things i'm feeling, because judging from previous experiences that doesnt really work.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.