Skip to content
OTC Pain Meds that don't cause constipation
Giannoni posted:
have chronic pain from a disabling pelvic condition. The pain I suffer from is both biomechanical and neurological. Relief for me is mostly from the meds, Tramadol, Cymbalta and Neurontin. But the catch 22 is that I can only take a moderate amount of these meds due to their constipating side effects. I am able to manage the constipation with diet, Miralax and Colace but I really need more of the meds to manage the pain. Can anyone recommend any of the newer pain meds that don't cause constipation. I've read that drug companies are working on these but I'm not sure if they are already on the market. Thanks for your help!!

Giannoni responded:
CORRECTION FROM GIANNONI:
I meant to say new "Prescription Meds" that don't cause constipation NOT "Over-the-Counter." Sorry for the mistake!

77grace responded:
Hi Giannoni ,
I don't know of any pill's that help but I can suggest dietary things !
Believe it or not Prunes or prune juice ,grapes bran ceral 1 apple a day and if you can eat one in the morning and 1 at night it really helps !!!!!Give it a try !
Good luck 77grace

ctbeth responded:
If there are new opiates that do not cause constipation, I do not know of these

There are other prescription and over the counter laxatives. Please discuss your distressing side effect with your prescribing MD or primary care MD.

Of course eating right and drinking lots of water does help.

Good luck

blessedladyptl responded:
Giannoni , go to http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/home Put " opiate induced constipation" in the search bar. They have been conducting clinical trials for this, but I'm not sure where they're at with it or if it's what you're looking for. You may also want to contact the drug companies and others directly and ask them if anything is new or in development. There may be plans for clinical trials in your area.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.