Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Desperate for some kind of relief
nastyKnees posted:
Hi[br>[br>I began having (bilateral) knee pain when I was about 14 or 15 during my sophomore year of high school. I am assuming it was an overuse injury as I was exerting substantially more effort to improve my running as the pain began. I did the usual, heat/ice, taping, brace stuff, after that didn't help, I went to see an Orthopedist, got MRI's which showed nothing significant, more taping, different brace, PT, still no improvement. That was when I became a frustrated high school student who didn't want to deal with all the stress associated with all the doctor's appointments, etc. with no results.[br>[br>Now I am 19 years old, am in significant pain on a daily basis, and am at a dead end as to what I should do. I began seeking treatment again around February or March of this year. We began with the usual NSAIDs, PT, etc. Not so shockingly, nothing seemed to help. Scheduled another MRI which revield possible Plica inflammation. Decided to have orthroscopic surgery done to remove that and fix whatever else they might find. Doctor gave me 5/500 mg Vicodin P.R.N. up until the surgery. About two months ago I had a Plica Excision and a Partial Lateral Release. I had, what I assume to be, abnormal, excessive, persisting, post-operative pain. It would take 10-15 mgs Oxycodone along with some Tylenol to take away. After 2 weeks I was taken off all narcotics. [br>[br>I am in PT now 2 times a week, which finally seems to be doing something for my left knee. Not close to pain free, but something. And I'll take anything. But, the added stress on my right knee, from using it as sort of a crutch after surgery, has caused the pain in that knee to go out of control. After my surgeon's team tried 25 mg Tramadol at nighttime, then 300 mg Gabapentin, I was referred to a pain management center. I should also note that I cannot and will not take NSAIDs anymore due to the heinous ulcers they bring with them. After the recommendation from my suregeon's team of taking just a little Ibuprofen to help, I ended up with another ulcer, which I knew would happen, but decided to listen to the doctor's, because they know best, right? I have now had persisting nausea, stomach pain, and irregular bowel movements for upwards of a month.[br>[br>At the pain management center I met with the doctor and explained my situation. He recommended Synvisc injections, which I am going for in three days, and 300 mg Gabapentin T.I.D. After the Gabapentin wasn't helping I went back and received a script for 50 mg Tramadol T.I.D. P.R.N. I'm still in pain. My pain management doctor and I have a small issue/disagreement that I think may be getting in the way of my treatment. I use marijuana, it helps with my anxiety, I can only eat after smoking because of the nausea, it can sometimes relieve my migraines, and occasionally it will help with the pain. My doctor told me his "treatment options for me are limited if I continue to use marijuana." I told my doctor about my marijuana use before they decided to drug test me. Do all pain clinics routinely drug test every these days? Will any doctor be willing to help me if I'm using marijuana? Some of the reasons he gave me about stopping my marijuana use were that 1. It makes me lazy, 2. I should be focused on my school work and marijuana negatively impacts that, and 3. We don't know how it will interact with other substances. I felt very judged and as if there was a condescending tone coming from him. I really do not want to discontinue my marijuana use. I fear it will cause me to need to increase my benzodiazepines, I won't be able to eat, and honestly, I like that I can come home at the end of the day and have something to allow me to relax and uplift my mood.[br>[br>What can I do? I was pretty persistent about calling my doctors when I needed pain relief. I have spoken with all of my doctors about this issue and am completely honest with them about my drug use and anything else. I can't keep living like this.

An_246419 responded:
I have Knee problems and have been taking Synvist for a few years and it helps me, but it depends on what you have wrong?
Many states are approving medical marijuana so more DR are becoming OK with its use, just ask friends, especially those in the medical field for referrals to a DR that might not object. Have you explained to the doctor why you use it? Perhaps if they knew they would be more OK with it and remember it is a drug so it has to work with everything. lin19

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

really determined.
cant wait to get off all my pain meds; the stigma of a DRUGuser is almost as bad as the pain.NO ONE beleives you are really hurting.plus ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.