Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    In pain need advice
    painrunsmylife posted:
    Hi I'm 28 years old and have been dealing with chronic pain for 10yrs. I have herniated discs in my lumbar spine along with arthritis and bone spurs. I have a 2 yr old and its very hard to take care of a toddler and be in pain 24/7. My pregnancy was horrible I was in so much pain I couldn't put any weight on my legs and my pelvic felt like it got trampled on by a horse. Long story short I've been through hell and back with my doctors not believing me or helping me with my pain. I need help finding a doctor that will actually listen to me and help me with my pain. I have so much debt already from medical bills and I can't afford to keep trying different doctors as we have private insurance and have yo pay a lot out of pocket. I live in Springfield, MA. If anyone know someone that can help that would be great because I've gotten to the point where I feel like my family would be better off without me. My husband works 10hr days and has to do laundry and dishes and cook dinner. I've been in so much pain for so long that I'm turning into someone I hate because I'm so angry and sad all the time I have no patience anymore and I used to be known for my patience with kids. I feel like a horrible mother and wife and its from being in pain all the time. I don't know what else to do.
    davedsel responded:

    I am sorry you are in so much pain and going through all this. I fully understand.

    The only way to get answers and solutions would be to keep seeing doctors. See if there are doctors that will work with you on payment plans in your area.

    What type of doctors have you been seeing? The best type for spinal problems would be either a spinal orthopedic surgeon or a spinal neurosurgeon. Surgery should always be your last resort, but these specialist are the best for diagnosing back problems and recommending good treatment plans.

    Have you seen a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist? These specialists offer a wide variety of treatments.

    When was your last spinal MRI or CT Scan? If it has been more than a year it may be time for an updated set of diagnostic tests.

    Keep doing your research. There are many good websites that have information about back problems and solutions. Here are links to a few:

    WebMD Back Pain Health Center:


    Spine Universe:

    You may need some type of counseling to help you with the depression. This often happens with chronic pain as it affects every aspect of our beings.

    I pray you can get answers, treatment and relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    ctbeth responded:
    Hello friend,

    I am a patient of a wonderful pain management practice that is in West Hartford, CT.

    I have known of more than a few patients of the practice that live in the greater Springfield area who are seen by this practice.

    Click on my name of little "mug shot" and you'll find my email address.

    You may contact me via email, if you wish.

    If you do write, please put "FROM WEB MD" as the subject. Unrecognized email goes directly into my "JUNK" file. I check every few days to see if any "JUNK" mail is actually mail that I want to read.

    Meanwhile, never give up hope.

    Please write again. This is a group of fine people who, like you, are doing our best to cope with chronic pain on a daily basis.


    painrunsmylife replied to davedsel's response:
    Thank you for reading and taking the time to give good information. I'm trying a new Dr on Monday hope it goes well.


    cweinbl responded:
    I've been having your type of chronic pain for the past 40 years, starting just after my 17th birthday. After three disc herniations and four failed spine surgeries, I had to retire fro my university position at age 51, 9 years ago. So, I know exactly how you feel.

    We're not allowed to recommend specific physicians here. But you can and should consider a comprehensive pain management program. That's a program employing neurologists, psychologists or psychiatrists, anesthesiologists and physical therapists.

    Comprehensive pain management treatments include, but are not limited to:

    spinal decompression, a corset, brace, TENS, traction, acupuncture, biofeedback, physical therapy, kinesiotherapy, injection of steroids and anesthetics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, cortisone, rhyzotomy (radio frequency denervation), spinal cord stimulator, intrathecal infusion pump, off-label medications (anti-depressants, anti-convulsants), combination of long-acting pain medication with breakthrough meds, counseling, hypnosis and meditation.

    This process can also allow you try a variety of combinations of medication, so that you'll eventually learn which one work best with your unique body chemistry. It can take months or even years to discover this. But eventually you'll be better able to manage your pain.

    Surgery is an absolute last resort. I've had four failed spine surgeries, including multilevel fusion. Now I'm riddled with fibrosis from the surgeries, my spinal osteoarthritis is much worse and I have more nerve damage from the surgeries (a resident in one laminectomy gouged out a piece of my eight S1 nerve root). Before having surgery, be sure to try the spinal cord stimulator and the intrathecal infusion pump. Both require surgery to implant the device and to remove it. That's why it is the second to last resort option.

    You would be amazed how much you can learn with medical research. But the bottom line is that going to one doctor or one physical therapist is a mistake. A comprehensive pain management program provide the wide-ranging services necessary to manage your pain. I can reduce my pain by up to 20% with biofeedback alone. Try everything possible until you learn what works best.

    Odds are, you'll never become pain free. Neither will I or the vast majority of visitors here. The trick then is to learn how to manage your pain, so that you can continue to have a productive life. This takes skilled personnel, the willingness to try dozens of treatment options, if necessary, and the patience to allow you to discover which treatments, which combinations of medications and which limits you'll eventually need to adopt.

    Good luck.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.