Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
OMG cry or be happy
charity1234 posted:
Hi everyone,

I hope this post find everyone in a low pain day and finds you all well. It seems like forever since I have posted anything and knew exactly where to turn to after my appt this morning. I don't know whether to cry or be happy after this one.

I have been in pain straight for about 7 yrs now and suffer deeply like most of us do, doctors have dx me with FMS and Hereditary Angio Edema. To be honest I don't think they have a clue....

For the last year I have been suffering with major shoulder and neck pain and had an mri done, a couple of months ago. I met with the Ortho Surg this morning to go over the results. My C5 and C6 is showing disc Extrusion and is severely pushing on the nerves and muscles on both sides of my shoulders and neck. He said that alot of my symptoms that they thought was FMS is from this like Migraines, hands and fingers falling asleep pain, swelling in my shoulders, elbows fingers and wrists, Dizziness and so on.

He wants to do multiple trigger point injections to release the nerves and muscles because right now there is very little oxygen and blood flow going to them. I have no reflexes at all on the right side of my body. He said yrs ago,they would operate right away to remove the disc but now they dont like to so wants to try this.

Any suggestions for me? I guess I am not losing my mind and my pain is justified where for yrs felt like I was looked down on because of my pain..

ctbeth responded:
Hi Charity,

Suggestions? Well, the ortho suggested trigger point injections . Do you think this is worth giving it a try? Write the pros and cons and have it done if it is right for you. I'd do it, It I'm not you and only you can make this decision.

This is also the case with the discectomy. If the expected outcome is favorable and the risks relatively low, only you know if this is what you want.

Many here-I am included- have had back surgery. I have a cervical spine fusion. For me, the surgery was necessary for spinal stability. I did. It find the recovery of thy surgery very tough.

Sometime, when considering surgery, it is helpful to

ctbeth replied to ctbeth's response:
Consider surgery a short term pain versus the condition to be long term pain.

For many, the decision comes down to short term pain versus long term pain.

David Maine, MD responded:
Thank you for your post. If you are unsure consider getting a second outside opinion within the same specialty. Sometimes that can add clarity and give you confidence in the treatment path you choose. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.