Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sodium content in generic acetaminophen
Goldinski posted:
My 79 yo mother-in-law, Fran, has a long list of medical problems, even longer than my own. Among them are: 100% dependency on a pacemaker; paraplegic from spinal stroke; asthma; myasthenia gravis; history of congestive heart failure; light stroke 7 years ago.

My question is really very simple. We heard from another senior that her doctor said generic acetaminophen contains high amounts of sodium which contributed to swelling of her feet and ankles. Since Fran has been taking more of that OTC med, we're wondering if there is some truth to that. Wal-Mart was no help (Equate brand) and I have not found anything on the Internet about it.

The senior said also that a nurse at an immediate care facility "pooh-poohed" the sodium accusation. However, she said ~2 weeks after switching to the name brand the swelling went down.

Anybody?

blessedladyptl responded:
Inactive ingredients in generic meds vary. Not sure if the info below might help but thought I'd include it. There is a toll free # to call for questions.

Equate Acetaminophen-
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=5fc120c9-1271-40a9-b79b-f3f594417fe2

Goldinski replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Thanks so very much for the info!! I'll check it out!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Fibromyalgia Pain
I had a lot of pain in my lower back. The doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. He prescribed lyrica which works really well. I still have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.