Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA and severe back pain
An_253742 posted:
In 2006 I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatism. 3 years later it went into full blown RA. I have been an extremely active person all my life, worked at jobs where lifting heavy objects, unloading trucks and moving patients (another career ago). Felt twinges for the last 25 years, then one morning, woke up, started to stretch (always before rising) and as I lay there I could feel my pulse in all of my joints, from my jaw line all the way down to my toes. Let me tell you, that is spooky. As I got out of bed, very carefully I might add, I couldn't support myself with the right leg and hip. I literally crawled to the phone, called my D.O., got in, then called my husband home from work. I then crawled to get some type of clothing on. When my husband arrived, he had to carry me to the truck. Sitting up was horrible, but lying back was excruciating. I cried all the way to the office. My husband got a wheelchair, took me inside, my Doc took one look at me and immediately wheeled me to admissions. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. He personally checked me in and wheeled me to my room. I was there for 2 weeks with so many xrays, MRI's, and every other scan known to modern man. NOTHING, no explanation for my pain. He sent me to a Rhuematologist who saved me. I was really beginning to this it was in my head. But by a simple blood test, she knew. I have been on pain medication ever since and very simply, couldn't have functioned without it. Now me RA Doc has retired, we have 2 in our area (Not taking patients) and I have been having to go to Pain Management. While they are very good, all they want to do is injections. I have to see them every two weeks, just to get my medication ($$$$$$) and now my insurance will only cover so many a year. These injections cost upwards of $500 a pop and I don't l
know about you, but I can't swing that. It has been brought up about Radio Frequency Denervation. I have been doing research and an not really pleased with what I have found. Anyone else out there have this done. If so, what was the pain level after and time for recovery? Did you go any great length of time between treatments? I am 52 years young and have a lot of great years ahead of me, if I can get this under control with minimal down time, it would be a Godsend. I want to be able to play with the Grand-boy (he says he's not a baby, hense the name) without worrying that I am gonna do more damage. My upper spine is already the shape of a snake moving through the grass, due to overcompensation of my hips and knees. Will be having a talk with my DOC about getting this straightened before anything else. Might actually alleviate the need for most of my treatments. But what is a person to do. They (the insurance companies) have you over a barrel. You have to play by their rules or leave the game. I need some serious advice and would be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you and have a great weekend. By the way, they have told me RA doesn't affect the spine, I got news for them, IT DOES TOO.

Take the Poll

Should Radio Therapy Denervation be paid for more easily than conventional treatments for RA and pain management?
  • Yes, it is safer and in the long run more cost effective.
  • Yes, it last longer which means lowers the need for pain meds.
  • No they are about the same, only "masks" the pain.
  • No real opinion, have never done either one
vote
View Poll Results

davedsel responded:
Hello.

I have no real opinion as I have never done either one. However, I replied to suggest that you also post this in the WebMD Rheumatoid Arthritis Community here: http://exchanges.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis-exchange
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

tatroL replied to davedsel's response:
I just had one done this year. Did not improve my back pain, but reduced my leg pain by 50%. Not sure how It would work with RA. I have severe RA and OA that are affecting my joints with a lot of pain.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.