Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

back pain
An_253762 posted:
hi i been having back pain for about 3 months now. and i'm 18 yrs old. well i went with a back pain specialist and he said that based on what i told him my lower back disc had fallen out, but i never had and MRI or anything to prove it. Anyways he went ahead and crack my back to fix it and well my back did get better within a week, so i thought i was good. But the pain began again, not as bad as it was, but now all of a sudden my hips feel tingly and it goes all the way to my thighs. I don't know whats wrong. I cant take an MRI because i cant afford one, but if you know what it could be based on how i feel please tell me. Thank you.
_swank_ responded:
Was the specialist a chiropractor? If so then he is not a medical doctor and you should stay far away until you find out what's wrong with your back. A real specialist would not use the term "your disc has fallen out". Discs don't fall out. A chiropractor will tell you to go back again and again to get your back cracked. Your money is better spent seeing an orthopedic doctor that specializes in backs, or a neurosurgeon. At the very least, see your family doctor so s/he can order an MRI and x-ray.
ctbeth replied to _swank_'s response:
I'm thinking the same as Swank

What kind of authentic medical doctor would "crack" the back of a patient who is complaining of lower back pain?

Chiropractors only diagnostic tool is X-ray. Many soft tissue disc problems are not properly diagnosed with X-ray.

Also, discs do. To "fall out"

If the person is going to a chiropractor for, well, anything, he has probably gotten the diagnosis of "Subluxation". That is the only diagnosis that chiros give to everyone.

Please! Stay away from chiropractors!!
77grace responded:
Hi ,
I am sorry that you are suffering with Back pain so young !I agre with the other Ladies !Also For the future you may need an Mri first ,but you should get xrays !
Take care, 77grace
snow_white replied to _swank_'s response:
Thank you so much!!
snow_white replied to ctbeth's response:
Thanks for all the help!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

RSD and Dealing with the crap
I have found that 8 hours of sleep will not happen. Instead I sleep in 2-3 hour shifts. If the sheets hurt, uncover from the bottom of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.