Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Headaches
LoveSpots posted:
I've been suffering from so called migraine headaches for 3 years. I have at least 1 per week. Doctors can't seem to find anything and pills don't seem to help. Only trigger I've noticed is stress. Any suggestions for what I could do? Desperate for answers. Thanks

77grace responded:
Hi and WeLCOME
I can really realte,I have been getting them almost everyday ! At least they are not as bad or last as long ?Do you take medication ? Imitex seems to help me !Natural things things like ice and relazing music help too !
I hope you feel better soon !Get back to me if you want !
Take care,77grace

LoveSpots replied to 77grace's response:
Always ice and heat, help in the moment. Taken preventative meds no results other than Nyasia, tingling sensation and weight gain. Meds for when I have one work for the most part but put me out for a few hours at the least. Always seem to go to bed with it or wake up with one.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Stress is a well-known trigger for migraine headaches. While we can't eliminate stress from our lives, there are certainly things we can learn to do to modify how we respond to stress. The fight or flight response describes how the body and brain first responds to the presence of danger or acute stress. With this, we see a surge in things like adrenaline and an excitation of the nervous system, resulting in a rapid heart rate and heightened state of arousal. A great resource to learn more about how stress affects the body is a book called "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers."

Learning some new stress management techniques may help diminish the frequency or intensity of your migraines. Consider practicing some basic breathing techniques or sign-up for more formal training in stress management. Some possible resources for that would include an 8 week Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction program or working individually with a pain psychologist or therapist.

For other tips, here is a link to a WebMD article on this subject: http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/migraines-headaches-managing-stress . My book, "Take Charge of Your Chronic Pain," has some easy to understand chapters on things like stress and basic breathing exercises to calm the nervous system.

LoveSpots replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
Thank you

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.