Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain medicine
mallard1 posted:
I have degenerative disc disease in my back. I have been given a lot of different pain meds over the years and never had any problems with them. About a year ago I started getting very ill when I took them. The doctor gave me different ones from different families, pain patches, and they all have the same effect on me. they dont seem to know why, but I need something for pain and dont know what to use.

77grace responded:
Hi mallard1,
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your pain meds !I am guessing it's stomache trouble ??Am I right ?
If so ,all I can suggest is eating with them or trying some sort of anti nausea med ,I do !Sometimes my stomache really does a number on me !
Best of luck,tellus more and we can help more !
77grace

ctbeth responded:
Hi Mallard,

If opiate medicines are. to tolerable to you, it may be worthwhile for you to get a referral and see a pain management MD

While they do work with prescribing pain meds, they also have other treatment modalities that may reduce your pain without opiates

You could also see a neuro surgeon and discuss surgical options. There are procedures for this common problem that are minimally invasive and do not require an overnight hospital stay

Would you mind telling what kind of "very I'll" you feel when you take medicines?

Wow, this must be a tough thing for you

I hope that you'll come back and tell us what you're thinking

CTB

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.