Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Advice on Post-Hernia Repair Surgery Pain?
TheCleverestWitch posted:
Hi everyone!

I had a hernia repair surgery in late March and had some discomfort afterwords. It got really bad in July when we moved our family from California to Texas. It's a sharp pain that sometimes radiates down my right leg. It's there what seems like all the time, but is worse after activities such as going to the grocery store.

My primary care doctor ordered a CT Scan last month and although I had follow up with her, due to the pain getting worse I had to get into the doctors ASAP. The doctor I saw read my CT Scan and showed that the mesh has been tearing into my lining and causing a lot of inflamed scar tissue. He prescribed me Norco 10 mgs and said to try a chronic pain medication called Neurontin 300 mg in the mean time, and sent me to a pain management specialist.

I absolutely can't stand my pain management specialist. He is beyond rude, has no care for personal boundaries, and seems to just cause me more pain than I'm already in. I stopped taking the Neurontin because it wasn't helping me at all, so I told him that I didn't think that it was nerve pain. He told me that he doesn't prescribe pills, but he would prescribe me lyrica if I needed something else. Now, I watch a lot of Golden Girls at nights and there is always commercials for Lyrica, specifically targeting it for diabetic nerve pain. I told him again that I didn't think it was nerve pain and he told me to lay down so he could exam that area.

It has never hurt before when I press in that area, but man did it hurt when he pressed on it. Then he told me, "See it is nerve pain because it hurt when I pressed on it." I was in worst pain than I was going in there. He told me the only thing that he does is steroid injections so the next time I come in to be prepared for to be injected with it.

I want to get a new pain management specialist, as well as see somebody else that specializes in this particular area but I wouldn't know who to see. So I just wanted to get a second opinion or some advice from anybody on here.

1. Is there something else that I can do to heal this pain and fix the problem WITHOUT injections?
2. Could it be nerve pain or does he just not know how to properly exam a painful area?
3. Is there another type of medication that I could take that would be better for this type of pain? Perhaps something for chronic pain that lasts longer than Norcos? I don't want anything too strong just something so I can go a full day without feeling pain.

Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks!
TheCleverestWitch responded:
Sorry that this posted twice everybody. It wouldn't let me post the first one, so I wrote another one, but apparently it did post and now I can't remove it. Sorry!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Get honest with your Doctor
P Pain clinics think of you as a way to make a living. Find a doctor who is willing to help you or send you to someone who will. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.