Skip to content
back pain
markmatin1980 posted:
my girlfriend has extreme back pain right now it has been getting worse and worse over the past three days. Now she cant move much at all she is saying that its worse than being in labor could this be a disk issue and should I take her to the emergency room?
ctbeth responded:
It could be a disc problem, or it may be something else.

If her pain is intolerable, there is no reason not to go to an ER

Another option would be for her to phone up her primary care MD and he/ she may have other suggestions based upon gf's history, etc

Best wishes, and maybe write and let us know how she's doing today
77grace responded:
Hi markmatin1980,
I am sorry to hear that your girlfriend is in that much pain !|
Ifn she has tried everything she knows or has at home and nothing is working then yes I think it would be a good idea !I know it's the weekend so that is one reason I say this !Otherwise I would have her call her primary and let him know what is going on and see what happens !At least at the ER they can help with the pain for now !
cweinbl responded:
To rule out a herniated disc, tumor or spinal fracture, she requires X-rays, an MRI and possibly a CAT-scan, in addition to a physical exam. You can go to the ER, or you can contact an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon.

The good news is that while 80% of people have an episode of severe back pain, almost all of them get better on their own, within a few weeks at most.

P.S. NEVER go to a chiropractor in this situation. Manipulation without an accurate diagnosis can create serious problems, including partial paralysis. Chiropractors are not allowed to order an MRI or CAT-scan and soft tissue, like disc material does not visualize on an X-ray. Please don't do anything dangerous with her.

Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Gall bladder
Two years ago. I was experiencing a piercing pain dead center of the chest .it was like someone was taking their finger and pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.