Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe neck and shoulder pain
kns891 posted:
I am a 22 year old female (I'm not sure if that's important to know or not). These past few days I have been experiencing severe neck and shoulder pain. At first it was just my neck then the pain reached my shoulders as well. I popped my neck to see if it would relieve the neck a/or shoulder pain and it relieves it for about 30-minutes then the pain comes back. I know I shouldn't have done that but I was desperate 'cause the Ibuprofen hasn't had much affect on the pain anymore. The neck and shoulder pain is getting so severe that it is now starting to cause migraines. I have been using a foam pillow for the past few months because the soft pillow randomly started bothering me. Does anyone know what could be causing all this pain or have ideas on how to sooth the pain?

An_251837 responded:
You need to see your doctor for evaluation and treatment.

An_252302 responded:
Have you had any trauma that may have caused this? I have the same problems. I ended up having a herniated disc, but I was evolved in a car accident. The pain may get worse you should seek medical attention.

kns891 replied to An_252302's response:
I haven't experienced any trauma that would cause that, however I do have epilepsy and I was diagnosed with it when I was 3 but this has never happened before.

An_252302 replied to kns891's response:
I'm not sure if epilepsy has anything to do with it, but it may be possible when you adjusted your neck may have caused more problems that relieving then pain. After my accident I was seeing a chiropractor and she would adjust my neck. The first time she adjusted me I about fell off the table. The pain was so excruciating that she sent me to have an MRI done. I then had to have surgery. This may not be the case for you but I would seek a medical doctors advice.

77grace responded:
Hi and Welcome ,
After reading your post and all the others ,I agree that you should seek aand find a Dr. get some tests done and in my opinion stay clear OF chiropractors !
I suffer from terrible neck and shoulder [ain ,so I know !
Take care , 77grace

Anon_57995 replied to kns891's response:
Since you have an existing medical condition, it would seem prudent, IMHO, to be seen by your MD.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.