Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Butrans and hot baths.
Zealot01 posted:
Have been on butrans for a week. Was wondering if taking a bath with KNEIPP oils is possible.Have heard side effects with heat can be bad. I am using 5mgs at the moment. If the patch is up high enough and does not get wet will that be okay?

davedsel responded:
Here is the information about Butrans found in the WebMD Drugs & Supplements section: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-155153-Butrans TD.aspx?drugid=155153&drugname=Butrans TD&source=2

In the Precautions tab for Burtrans it does state that "Raising your skin/body temperature may cause overdose. Avoid increasing your skin temperature at or near the application site (for example, using products such as heating pads, electric blankets, hot tubs, heat or tanning lamps). Avoid taking hot baths and sunbathing. Tell your doctor promptly if you develop a fever."

You may want to ask your pharmacist and/or your prescribing doctor these questions. Others having experience with the Butras patch may reply as well.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Zealot01 replied to davedsel's response:
Thanks for the information. I was asking this because the hot baths help the shoulder pain.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.