Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
using methadone with Oxycotin for pain management
tdmyturn posted:
I suffer from chronic pancreatitis- brought on by a dysfunctional bile duct and the deterioration of the pancreas. 15 yrs to date...

I have seen the same physician for 10 of those yrs, I have followed every directive, I have not sought out additional medication, nor begged for increases ( I stayed at the same doseage for 6 yrs), I use the same pharmacy, I go to the e.r. for emergency attacks but NEVER request additional rx, and am and have not ever been on any "drug seeker list".

for 8 yrs ago I was put on Oxycotin and norco...this was heaven sent but my insurance soon ran out and it was not financially doable- my doctor than TAPERED me off of the Oxycotin and introduced Methadone...Norco continued for break through, this continued for the past 6 yrs. 2 yrs ago he added dilated 4mg for extreme pain ( only a few tablets)

a few months ago the pain management doctor in his office agreed that we should try and re-introduce Oxycotin and get me off or at least significantly reduce the methadone- which we did- at this point I was taking one 40 mg oc in am and in pm - 4-10mg methadone through out the day, norco for spikes and breakthrough, and a few diladid for major attacks....this was working, not completely taking away the pain but was controlling the major peaks and valleys....

today I met with my main doctor ( he recently replaced the office pain management doctor to practice pain management full time), he met with me for 5 min. printed off my rx and said good day- when I pointed out that he had missed the norco and methadone he came unglued..cursing at the regime, spouting that my medication was ineffective and only in my head at this point, that I could stop tomorrow and have the same identical pain...I finally spoke up and stated the facts of our relationship and that once again I would do whatever he recommended but I questioned his decision to stop the Oxycontin completely and double the methadone dosage...he stated something about how one methadone is equal to a 3 count of Oxycontin??? idk.. then compared my chronic pain to that of a caffeine headache- stating two options keep drinking coffee or suffer through the headaches, either one was the same result...I then replied in tears - so are you what suggesting I just curl up in a ball, slit my wrists??? HIS ANSWER- ' IF YOU WANT'....

end result- my pharmacist refused to fill the medication because she did not feel comfortable with the change, and is concerned about the cessation of the OC. Im home, pain is excruciating and have no idea what I should do next??

I realize this is a horribly long letter - my main question: was having me on Oxycontin and methadone for extreme chronic pain not a good regime for pain management??

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.