Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Groin Pain from Catherezation
An_254067 posted:
I had a catheterization done about a month ago was feeling good, but this morning my groin where they went is sore. Is this normal? Should I call my doctor anyway and ask?

cweinbl responded:
Having had two catheterizations, I can say that it is a very severe bruise that won't go away any time soon. To prevent this large blood vessel from bleeding after the proiedure, the surgical assistant must press upon it exceedingly hard. The result is a very sore bruise that lasts a long time. NOt to worry too much. Within a few weeks, it will dissipate in pain.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

An_254067 replied to cweinbl's response:
Thank you for responding I wasn't very worried just concerned since it was feeling fine

cweinbl replied to An_254067's response:
Actually, you might see a bruise there too. Not to worry. They open a very large blood vessel to implant the cath tool. It takes a lot of pressure for a long time to make sure it clots properly. I've had two of those and that's the only pain. It should end very soon.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

An_254067 replied to cweinbl's response:
Thank you yes I did have bruise, but the bruise was gone as was most of the pain. I did a lot of walking and that's when the area was uncomfortable again I guess I just over did it. But thank you for your response

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.