Lumbar accurascope
Emptynester10 posted:
I had a microdiscectomy on L5 S1 in February with little to no relief. Still having lots of pain and have now been told that I need to have L4 L5 fused together. This is a very scary surgery with metal screws and plates and months of recovery. Because of our insurance coverage decreasing in January I need to have it done before the end of the year. I came across the North American Spine Institute and contacted them. They have gone over my records and MRI results and said I would be a good candidate for the Lumbar Accurascope procedure. It sounds so much better than the fusion surgery. I just haven't found much info from anyone who has had the procedure. I see that some of you on this site were going to get it, has it been successful for any of you? My insurance is covering most of this procedure. I just worry that if it sounds too good to be true..... I really need help making this decision, and soon! Thank you to anyone who tell me about their experience with this.

compoundia responded:
Hello, No Idea. I am sorry !

cweinbl responded:
I've been in the same position. I had two discectomies at L5-S1 and L4-5, followed by an unsuccessful laminectomy from L3 to S1. I never improved. I was then told that I required another laminectomy and bilateral fusion from L3 to S1. I had it (my 4th lumbar operation). I never recovered. Now, I have massive fibrosis (scarring) throughout my lumbar spine, plus osteophytes and massive osteoarthritis.

Spine surgery is successful about 60% of the time. The more surgeries you have, the more fibrosis and osteoarthritis you'll have.

Here is one of the best recent compilations of all types of spinal interventions, with related success rates at 6 mo. and 12 mo: http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/2009/july/2009;12;699-802.pdf .

I'll never again believe surgeons, who have misled me time and time again. The odds for success are not what they tell you. Do not believe them.

Spine surgery today remains one of the lowest odds for success among all types of surgery. Meanwhiule, the link above shows a dozen viable alternatives to that surgery.

Good luck.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

Emptynester10 replied to cweinbl's response:
I am so sorry for all you've been through! It just sucks that there are no sure ways to know what to do. I will look into that link you sent. Thanks, Emptynester