Skip to content
Hepatitis C and pain management
An_254106 posted:
I recently went to a pain management Dr. My blood work came back that I had Hep C. My results were 11552, the norm is 43. But she also said my numbers for my pain meds showed too high from the blood test for her to prescribe anything to me. I have A LOT of spinal problems and have been in pain management for 15 yrs. surgery is not an option. I was told too much wrong and would need a total spine replacement and we all know that's not possible. I KNOW I have not taken my meds wrong, if anything I don't take them enough. Is it possible the results showed high because of the Hep C? If my liver isn't working right wouldn't it metabolize slower. I am in extreme pain and I know I didn't take anymore med than was prescribed.

blessedladyptl responded:
It may be the test that was used. Some aren't as accurate as others. Was it a blood test for the meds or a urine test ?

sam1985 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
I do not think it will be urine test but i would really like to know as to what happened after that as my younger brother is also going through the same.

blessedladyptl replied to sam1985's response:
Urine tests that the drs do to find out how much of the prescribed meds are in your system and what other meds may also be in your system aren't always accurate. The only thing you can do is discuss it with your dr and ask them to run the test again. If this isn't successful, you may want to get a copy if your medical records and see what the info actually is and what your dr has written down about it.

S0nshine replied to blessedladyptl's response:
It was a blood test. The amount the Dr is saying is IMPOSSIBLE. I would be in a coma. Plus I'm trying to find a new Dr as I've moved back to town so I don't even have a prescription. I know it's wrong, but I have a close friends who has been giving me some of her meds because she knows how much pain I am in. I couldn't afford 10 pills a day nor could May friend afford to give me that many! I KNOW the numbers are wrong. Could it be that my bad liver is metabolizing the drug more slowly? It has to be something. I swear on all I love I have NOT abused the pain meds and now this new Dr won't prescribe me anything. I am desperate.

77grace replied to S0nshine's response:
Hi and Welcome !
I am sorry that you are having all this trouble!I think I would talk to your Dr,. tell her your concerns and ask for the test to be taken again !That would also show that you are on the up and up !
Best of luck ! 77grace

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.