Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why don't doctors listen and what can I do about it
Donna6263 posted:
Hello, I have been having pain in my upper arms (both sides) when I move quickly, either lifting or putting my arms behind my back, I can't do my hair, wrap a towel around me after a shower, pull blankets up over my head, tuck my arm under my head when falling asleep. I have had 7 weeks of physical therapy where they did ultrasound and electric impulses but no exercises. I went back to my doctor and asked to have a MRI but he asked it I have been tested for Rheumatoid arthritis, I told him that I have and that it was negative, but he told me to have another blood test and then see a rheumatologist, I don't think I have RA, I don't think I have fibromyalgia, but I think I need a MRI to figure out what is going on, Why do doctors just send you for tests and pawn you off elsewhere?.

dfromspencer responded:
That is very unfortunate, but it seems as if you have one of those doctors that like to put you through un-needed tests? Some do it for the money, other's, just to cover their tracks. I suggest you go along, or find another doctor?! Once all of the tests he scheduled for you come back negative, perhaps then he will send you for an M.R.I.???

I wish you luck in finding that relief!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG-LOVE WELL!!!

Anon_2912 responded:
Sounds like you may have bursitis. I get that every 1-2yrs. In fact I had a cortisone shot last month. Like you washing my hair and moving my shoulder in certain ways hurt ...

I have had cortisone shots on my right one for the last two years. The shot hurts at first, but the pain goes away in about 2-3 days ...and it last about 8 months to a year.

They have offered the PT for me, but I was honest with the doctor and told them I don't have time for PT because of work.

musicmancma replied to Anon_2912's response:
Try a Comfrey Poultice.
In July 2012 I innocently threw a dishcloth back to the sink after wiping down the benches and suffered the excruciating pain that goes with tearing a tendon in the shoulder. Over the next few months the pain became different and so problematic and hit my left side even worse. I decided to consult our family doctor just before Christmas. He sent me for ultrascans. The result showed I had torn tendons and bursitis in both. He suggested cortisone shots for immediate relief but having read that it only helps for a short time I decided against it (much to his displeasure I feel). I have long been a believer in the healing properties of the herb comfrey, and started researching how to make the best use of it. I grow it in quantity to give away to people who have various ailments. I decided to poultice my worst shoulder for 24 hours to see if it would help. 3 weeks later I was back to fairly normal use of the arm with . The pain subsided and movement returned gradually over that time. Needless to say I treated the other shoulder soon after and now I am back to being pain free with full movement in both shoulders. Thank you God for providing Comfrey. I have also made up comfrey ointment for ongoing preventative care.

Anon_57995 replied to musicmancma's response:
How do you make this?

annette030 responded:
An MRI is a test...They are very pricey, what do you think it would show? I think seeing a rheumie is a good idea.

Take care. Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.