Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Drug Resistant Chronic Severe Joint Pain
An_254157 posted:
I have have chronic severe joint pain for several years now. I have been tested for all the typical things, I do not have; R.A., regular arthritis, lupus, fibromialga, hyper and hypothyroidism, hyper and hypocalcemia. I have no physical signs of joint damage.

I have tried NSAIDs (OTC and prescription), topical agents, many narcotics and other medications used for their side effects (Lyrica, Cymbalta, Elavil and Vyvanse). Vicodin, Fentanyl and Percocet have never had any effect on me (no effects at all, positive or negative, like if I had not taken anything). The typical NSAIDs; Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac sodium and potasioum all have zero effect, thou Aleve increases my pain levels greatly, Both tramadol ER (IR did not decrease pain) and Lyrica decreased the pain slightly, but only for less than a month, then the pain would return. Topical agents have failed to work too; such as Icy-hot, capsaicin, Voltaren, and lidocaine. The Elavil, Cymbalta and Vyvanse dramatically increased my pain.

Has anyone experience anything similar (severe widespread joint pain with multi-drug resistance)? If so has anyone found relief with anything else?

blessedladyptl responded:
What type of diagnosis do you have ? Have you seen a mental health professional ? The reason I ask is because Vyvanse is for the treatment of ADHD. And Elavil and Cymbalta are for the treatment of depression along with other disorders, none of which you say you have. So it seems like your drs may have doubts that it is all physically related.

An_254157 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
No Diagnoses. Yes, I have seen Mental Health Professionals along with, Internist, rheumatologist, physiatrist, general practitioner.
The Elavil, Cymbalta and Vyvanse was used for the possible side effects (off label use).

ljude38 replied to An_254157's response:
Have you ever heard of hyperalgesia?
its increased sensitivity to pain which may be caused by damage to nociceptors or peripheral nerves.
Can be opiate induced. Just a thought.

An_254157 replied to ljude38's response:
Thank you for the suggestion. Thou I don't think it could be hyperalgesia, for a few reasons. I have never reacted to opiates, so I rarely take them (only when I get a new kind, to try, which ends up being a failure). The pain does not increase from the opioids, it is unaffected (along with everything else, because they have Zero effect on me (intended or side). So I guess what I'm trying to say is... I don't take opiates regularly, because I am unaffected, therefore there is no use in taking addictive substances if there is no effect.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

really determined.
cant wait to get off all my pain meds; the stigma of a DRUGuser is almost as bad as the pain.NO ONE beleives you are really hurting.plus ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.