Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hep C Treatment and Pain Meds?
JeezusEffinChrist posted:
Hi All

I was recently diagnosed with Hep C. I am a former addict in recovery and am attending outpatient to help with my substance issues.

Tomorrow I am going to my GI to start treatment for the Hep. I know from talking to others who have been through it the following things:

1) that it's pretty brutal, the treatment
2) that if you are in recovery, the majority of ppl on the treatment end up relapsing due to the pain and general symptoms of the Interferon and Ribaviron, et. a.
3) Most doctors are not exactly kind to self-confessed addicts, and are often quite callous to a recovering patient's suffering when it come to this stuff....

so my question is: is it possible that he can or should prescribe something non-narcotic (such as tramadol) to help me not spend the next 6 months in agony, thus driving me out the door seeking help from less desirable sources?

My follow up question: is it unheard of to have Suboxone prescribed for this? I know of long-term pain clinics that prescribe it, because of the buprenorphrine acting as a pretty good non-narcotic pain reliever, and it also contains the drug Naltrexone (Naloxone) which blocks other opiates, thus making a relapse preventable....

Similar to methadone, there is a stigma (why I don't know - its a far superior drug) with suboxone. I really feel it could be a good solution for what I'm going to be dealing with.

PS, I've now watched a few friends die from not completing their hep treatment - due to the callous attitude of doctors toward these patients' pain suffering.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? I really want to know what to expect tomorrow, and what I should be armed with, so to speak.

Thanks!
M

Anon_57995 responded:
If you'll be having interferon treatment, you shouldn't need narcotic pain med or tramadol You feel like you have the flu kind of. It's hard because you feel tired and achey a lot, but it snot pain like you need narcotics. As far as stigma, what you take for your health is nobody's business if your friends in recovery will judge you, and they might, then just don't tell them. It's none of their business If you need narcotics for pain, pain management doctors are better to understand about addiction and recovery than other doctors usually. Really though the treatment for hep C isn't that kind of pain.

Anon_57995 replied to Anon_57995's response:
Sorry I clicked by mistake. The buohrenophrine in Suboxone IS narcotic, btw The other ingredient is like narcan. I know that it is for H addiction and idk about given for pain. Does anyone know this?

What's going on with Tramafol? Is it treated like a narcotic or not? A lot of meds are too tough for the liver and you can't take then when you have Hep C

The GI doctor should answer your questions and it shouldn't matter that you're in recovery. Hep C is pretty common when you were an addict, right?

77grace responded:
Hello and Welcome !!.
I see that you have gotten a few good responses and info !The info on suboxone is true ,the buprenorphine is a narcotic !Its just a little different acting than opiates !Also tramadol is addicting !I know this from experience and I am a recovering addict too!\
Blessings ,77grace

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.