Skip to content
Article I wanted to share as you in this community have been angels in my eyes!
rhyenn posted:
THIS IS NOT MY JUST WANTED TO SHARE!

Pain, and why you not have to suffer in California By: Mark Norwood. Head Nurse & CEO:

MED-HELP.COM & MED-HELP.NET

In my own experiences as a patient and a nurse, I have found that too many States do not allow the use of narcotic analgesics as treatment for patients with chronic intractable pain.

Patients all over the US are suffering needlessly from doctors who are too scared to prescribe narcotic pain medication for fear of having their license revoked. Other doctors are just not properly trained in how to treat patients with the use of narcotic analgesics. Their are also those doctors from poor or third world countries who do not believe in treating patients adequately for pain. They usually come from a back grown where (in their own culture) pain is something that you just have to get used too and learn to live with. This is a Travesty!

Treatment of patients in severe or chronic pain with the use of narcotic analgesics is not only safer today with the new "hi tech" long acting narcotics, it is also more practical. Patients are far less likely to overdose with these new classes of long acting narcotics than 10 years ago when repeated dosing of short acting narcotics was the routine of the time.

I myself am tired of hearing patients tell me that their doctor has told them that they are just going to have to learn to live with the pain, (or) go in to some type of pain program. Pain Programs/Clinics Do Not use narcotic therapy as a part of their treatment plan and the worst thing is that referring doctors know this!! The use of narcotics as a part of there therapy is forbidden and other ways of controlling pain such as mind over matter as an example are the routine of choice. You can not take a patient in severe chronic intractable pain and try and tell them that they can out think it! To those doctors that use this approach I say, cut off your right finger, or better yet go out and get hit by a truck and then come back and try one of these therapies! Only then will they understand.

And to those doctors that say you are a drug seeking patient, Or he has a drug seeking personality, I say to you YES I am seeking drugs for my pain! What am I supposed to do, act like I do not really need them?

What doctors have to understand is that patients who are labeled drug seeking are just that! They are seeking to get out of pain. Studies have shown that patients suffer from chronic intractable pain, are not the typical drug addict looking for a fix! Rather they are looking for relief and to just live a normal life with some type of control over their pain.

And those doctors who do give out lets say 25 (or) 50 pills a month and have a patient sign a drug contract I say ("it just does not work that way"

If a patient is in more pain on a certain day he/she is going to need more pain medication to make it through that day. Before the patient knows it he has used up his supply, And all he gets for his/her trouble is a lecture from the doctor. PAIN CONTRACTS DO NOT WORK!!

Better yet put your patient on a longer lasting pain medication like Oxycontin or a narcotic patch like Fentanyl, and give your patient a supply of short acting pain medication for break through pain. This will not only make the patient more comfortable but less likely to ride the roller coaster of ups and downs that short acting pain medications can cause.

California NOW is one of the most recent states for adopting a law to treat patients with chronic intractable pain. The law states that doctors will not be prosecuted for treating their patients with opiate pain medications. Patients also have the right to Not under go corrective surgery (if available) to treat the patients pain, and remain on narcotic pain management if it is their wish to do so.

Doctors here in California NO longer have to fear losing their license to treat such patients. Please read the SB 402 Patients Bill of Rights!

ctbeth responded:
There are no states in the USA that do not allow MDs to prescribe opiate medicine.

Neither is the use of opiate analgesics being forbidden a real phenomenon in the USA.

There are no laws that forbid physicians from prescribing opiates to pain management patients

There are pain management programs that focus on relaxation, biofeedback, and non-chemical modalities, but this doesn't mean that opiate therapy is illegal.

I see that you're posting another persons narrative, but his observations are just not factual and this sort of untruth can frighten new members.

Please check facts before posting personal narratives that contain lies

ctbeth responded:
The narrative also makes unfounded statements about non-American physicians.

All MD's practicing in the USA must pass the medical board exams to have license to treat patients. Foreign born MDs have the same knowledge of pharmacology as USA born.

The narrative is filled with bias, untruths, half truths, and plain bigotry and lies

MD's in all states and US territories can prescribe opiate-based meds. California is no different

Look for scholarly articles, legal sites, and footnoted, bibliographies Articles that cite reliable sources for their claims.

Please don't post erroneous opinion filled with falsehoods and present these as factual

The author, Mark Norwood, is wrong. He. ALS himself, "Head Nurse". Head. Ruse of WHAT? Most of us RNS sign as RN, or RN, BSN, or RN, MSN- not head nurse. Also, CEO of what?

I haven't done a search on Mark Norwood Head Nurse, CEO, but I shall

He sounds like a poser, and perhaps even a. On-existent entity with a gripe.

Fear not- MD's can prescribe opiate analgesics

Jeez

ctbeth replied to ctbeth's response:
I did an exhaustive internet search and there is no one named. Mark Norwood, Head Nurse, CEO in the USA

I could. OT find a Mark Norwood who is an RN. I didn't search LPN. I got bored.

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
You are great!!!!!

Take care, Annette

ctbeth replied to annette030's response:
I don't know about that, but I have a very low bull**** tolerance

Really, the first line screams UNTRUTH,

"Pain and why you not have to suffer in California"

I have never, and suspect neither have you, experienced an RN who would identify him/ her self as "Head Nurse" & CEO.

As persons who live with chronic pain , we must develop critical thinking and reading skills.

If writing an article as a nurse CEO, I to be taken seriously and present my statements with any credibility, the correct way to identify oneself is, Jane Doe, RN, MSN. CEO , Dewey, Cheetum, and How.

That the presumed-fictional Nurse CEO Norwood neither identifies himself in the commonly acceptable manner and the items regarding legalities plus (cited un referenced) that doctors are,"too scared",are both among the many items that jump of the page and scream FRAUD.

If anyone should doubt my words and believe the originator-of-this-discussion's proclamation, do an internet search on which of the states of the USA do not allow MDs to prescribe opiates to persons living with chronic pain

The fictional Mr Norwood also describes a scenario that concludes that PAIN CONTRACTS DO NOT WORK (double exclamation point)

By presenting him or herself as a "Head Nurse and CEO" , the uninformed may think Mr Norwood's nonsense credentials give him knowledge and authority to state pure falsehoods.

I would wonder if this ridiculous narrative actually appeared in print somewhere, or if the original poster made up ridiculously-stated credentials in an effort to give a sense of credibility to a misguided rant

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
You and I knew the letter was a phoney, but you took the time to explain it well enough for all to understand. You are great!!!!

Hugs, Annette

blessedladyptl replied to ctbeth's response:
ctbeth , a lot of the foreign doctors don't know how to keep detailed medical records or don't care to. There are often huge problems when it comes to culture and communication. There are some good foreign doctors, but lately there seem to be more who aren't that good. Having the medical knowledge is one thing, but knowing how to use it when it comes to diagnosing and treating patients is another matter.Also, it seem that the better doctors, foreign as well as American are up north as opposed to down south. So personal encounters/experiences are often reflected by where you live.

ctbeth replied to blessedladyptl's response:
All medical do tors practicing in the USA are licensed to practice by the USA.

Being foreign born does not mean that ones degrees and/or. Red entails are somehow flawed, or less than

I am foreign born. Does this make my ability or willingness to keep detailed records.

I find this boad against the foreign born to be offensive, ignorant, and possibly racist.

ctbeth replied to ctbeth's response:
Oh boy, auto correct again: to clarify- Being foreign born does not mean that ones degrees and/ or credentials are somehow flawed, or less than.

Also- I find this bias against the foreign born to be offensive...

I'm sorry about this and I'll more carefully check before posting

It isn't against all foreign born physicians. I am merely stating that not all foreign physicians understand certain things. For some their culture and background prevent them from comprehending ours in the US. For some, the importance of detailed medical records seem to elude them. Or perhaps it is more the not wanting to change and learn new ways that makes them stand out as opposed to their peers who comprehend and understand and have learned how to successfully communicate with their patients and other physicians or other who are required to read and understand their medical records.

Some of the best physicians in the US are from foreign countries. But there is more to treating patients that what they learn from their medical books alone. Communication is a key part.

Not everyone lives in the same part of the country. And experiences are not the same everywhere and for everyone.

If I have offended anyone I apologize.

annette030 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
That may be true, but being born in the US does not mean that one went to medical school here, I worked with a doctor who did not graduate from med school here. I also know a number of doctors who are US born and bred, and still they do not keep good records. Sorry, I agree with Beth on this one.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
I do accept your apology.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.