Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anyone else going thru this? Advice please
lrb69 posted:
I am a chronic migrainer added with that is major back and neck issues. My doctor here in Missouri has discontinued using the narcotic I use for pain management. I've tried looking for a new doctor but I get stereotyped. I can actually see their eyes glaze over. It's unfair, I've been a sufferer for 18 years and I've been to 6 neurologists, 3 headache clinics and chiropractors and pain management. I know what works for me. I don't ask for anything are any more than I need. I'm honest about my condition, willing to sign a contract with a physician that's willing to work with me. Any suggestions?View Thread

blessedladyptl responded:
Don't ask for any specific meds. You may have to go along with whatever a new dr wants to prescribe. Have any of these drs gotten your medical records from your previous dr ? If they have you may want to get a copy of your medical records from your previous dr to see exactly what that dr wrote in them. The reason you were given does not mean that is the reason your previous dr wrote in your medical record. Is your previous dr being investigated for not properly prescribing pain meds ? If he is that could also be the reason, even if you did nothing wrong.

Have you talked your insurance company ? They can't tell you who will and who won't rx your meds, but maybe they can tell you the dr that other patients started seeing after leaving your previous dr.

77grace responded:
HI ,
I also have chronic headaches!Strange though ,narctics don't help my headaches !It helps my back and neck but not headaches !
Have you tried Imitex or Foricet ???
Sorry that this Dr. is giving you a hard time,I know what that 's like and it's frustrating !
Hang in there !

77grace

annette030 replied to 77grace's response:
Hi, Grace

Opiates do not work for all people or FOR ALL TYPES OF PAIN. This may be why they do not work for your headaches. I do not know if this is true for your headaches or not. You might bring this to your doctor's attention, if you haven't already. I assume you have, but whatever.

Take care, Annette

77grace replied to annette030's response:
Thanks annette030 ,
Yes your right some narctics work for some while others don't !
The narcotics do work for my back pain and c
neck just not my headaches !Strange huh??My Doctors ae aware of this ,Thanks !
Happy Thankgiving ,77grace

biancalthompson responded:
I have problems with my back and neck due to a work injury. I suffered from migraines since my late teens. I understand what your going through. I had gone through about 6 different physicians in a year before anyone actually listened to me. I found a doctor who understood that my only goal in treatment is to continue to control, not necessarily complete eliminate my pain, and to work. I always mention things that have worked for me in the past and be open to trying anything except surgery.

I wouldn't ask for a specific medication to a doctor whom hasn't been treating you for long, it leads to the stereotyping. I would however be persistent and honest. Some doctors are more understanding then others.

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
I know it can be really frustrating when you cannot find a physician who shares your philosophy about treatment or management, I thought it might help if I tried to explain some of the science behind why they may be recommending that you go in a different direction from continued opiate therapy.

Outcome-based studies generally don't recommend the use of opiates for the treatment of migraine headaches due to a lack of demonstrated efficacy. In addition, pain medications are now considered to be a major contributor of headaches, and this is sometimes referred to as rebound headaches.

What research has found is that the nerves in our brains are surrounded by these white cells known as glial cells, and they make up what is known as the "white matter" in the brain. Studies on migraine headaches have show that these glial cells release pro-inflammatory mediators that seem to be associated with the headache experience. Narcotic-based medications also cause the same activation of glial cells into inflammation-mode that is seen during migraines, and therefore may potentially aggravate the problem in the long-term. This may also explain some of the limitations of using opiates with other chronic pain problems. Research is being done to find ways to block this activation on the glial cells with the hope of making pain killers more effective in the future.

Again, I know your situation is very frustrating, but your doctors' recommendations may be based on some of these newer findings and recommendations and don't necessarily mean that they don't trust you or want to try to help you.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.