Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Small Fiber Neuropathy
Anon_166188 posted:
My mom was diagnosed with small fiber neurology with no real explanation as to what is causing the pain she is experiencing. It started out as severe burning sensation on her head. Sometimes her left arm would ache. She has no sign of diabetes or being pre-diabetic. Her doctor told her to take gabapentin. She noticed a decrease in pain but was very dizzy from the pill (which was a small dosage). She was then switched to amitriptyline which made her very sick (much worse that the gabapentin). Now she is taking Cymbalta which doesn't seem to be helping at all (she's been taking this for a week). She's in severe pain every morning with an extremely upset stomach. She can hardly walk because of her lack of muscle function. She can't sleep at night because she is so uncomfortable. The only other pill she is taking is prednisone for pain. Before this she has been talking a vitamin B supplement, and I've read that a vitamin B12 deficiency can sometimes be a cause of small fiber neuropathy. I'm desperate for help for my mom.

An_251837 responded:
Here is a link to a website that looks like it has good information about this condition: http://www.smallfiberneuropathy.org/

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.