Skip to content
nerve damage and arthiritis please help
abigailsadiesmom posted:
At age 13 I was told by my dr I had arthiritis in my knees as bad as an old person. Living with that wasnnt so bad until the last few years. At 32 now and have accumilated nerve damage that shoots unbelievable pain thru my upper legs and into my knees which are much worse now. My dr has me taking baclafen and neurontin with over the counter aleve. I haven't slept more than two hrs a night in a month. I have tried every cream rub spray but still no sleep. After going to my dr Monday and telling him this he did nothing. I obviously need to find a new dr but is there anything I can do now? I just want a good nights rest and relief from my constant leg pains. Please help!
annette030 responded:
Please tell your doctor one more time at an appt. that you make for this issue alone. Also inform him that you would like him to suggest a different doctor if he cannot help you to bring the pain under better control.

Unfortunately, many patients do not do this. Rather, they mention pain as an afterthought towards the end of an appt. for something else. The doctor SHOULD still address this, but studies show that they only listen to the initial complaint and deal with that.

You might also take a witness with you to take notes. Do not take anything that may blur your memory of exactly what is said.

I am posting to help you get better results from your appt. not to blame you in any way for your results at your last appt.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Fentanl Transdermal patch system (WARNING)
Hello; If you or someone you knows is on this system please advise them if they didn't already know to never i mean never alter the patch ... More
Was this Helpful?
89 of 136 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.