Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pain in back left side near shoulder blade
jbmuffin posted:
I have been having terrible pain in my upper back under my left shoulder blade for a few months. I was told gallbladder only happens on the right side. Is that true? It usually happens at night and wakes me from a deep sleep. It last about 2 hours and is gone like it was never there. It also makes me feel sick and throw up. Anyone else have this type of pain? I have not been to a dr yet as I cannot afford to go so I am hoping changing my diet or exercise will help.

David Maine, MD responded:
Thank you for your post. There really could be numerous causes and unfortunately it really takes and exam and focused history to sort these things out. I hope you are able to see a doctor in the near future. Good luck.

donitabird61 responded:
I also have had that several times. Sometimes a like nerve pain under my left arm elbow to left side of body I just take a deep breath n slowly let out air. One time my whole left side was so pain, I almost drove myself to emergency room or call 911.

jbmuffin replied to David Maine, MD's response:
Thank you. I finally had to go and get it checked. I went in last Saturday and Sunday had my gallbladder removed. I was told before this that the pain had to be on the right not the left, but as I found out it can also be on the left. Since the operation NO PAIN !!! The small discomfort from the surgery is nothing compaired to the pain I had before.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.