Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Pain Management Physician Does Not Understand Me Or My Pain
seattlegirl01 posted:
I have had fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis for 14 years. I was diagnosed when I was 28 years old. After 2 years of disability (when I was 28), being bed ridden and being a lab rat for every med under the sun...the doctors finally put me on narcotics. Suddenly I had a life again. I was able to move, work, do simple household chores like wash a dish. I had a caring doc who finally found a way to manage my pain and I was better for years. About 7 years ago I moved to Nebraska and my journey through hell began again. I was given some Norco...I was allowed one a day ONLY because I have arthritis. After going through years of this and being treated like a drug seeker I demanded to be sent to Pain Management. The doctor (she was actually a nurse practitioner) there was the most compassionate woman I have ever met. This is the kind of care provider who is old school...when I leave her office she would hug me and when I leave her phone messages SHE calls me back at the end of the day. She shook her head and could not believe how I had been made to suffer and immediately put me on 8 10/325mg Norco a day along with Neurontinin and a host of other meds. She actually cared and I could finally relax that someone understood. A year ago she left to go to primary care and everything changed again. The new doctors that took over the clinic said that they do not use narcotics in treating fibromyalgia. The thing is I also have bone pain, tendonitis, bursitis. I feel like my new doctor does not listen with an open mind...he treats me like a textbook or a study. In the last year I have had a broken ankle, a fall that resulted in concussion, and most recently a hysterectomy. He has been very good treating my acute pain but I feel like as far as my chronic pain is concerned he wants to throw me under the bus. He could care less....it is all about what is indicated for my condition. He said I may have arthritis but "we...just don't know that". My former pain doctor is now my primary and she just shakes her head at the management of my case as she is now powerless to help me. The new doc and I had it out in his office yesterday as my healing from surgery is complete and he wanted to take away the pain meds (I am allowed 2 Percocet a day) in the winter...my worst time of year. I was crying and at the end he told me to "quit crying I'm giving you what you want". I forgot to mention that I cannot tolerate NSAIDS and that I keep getting Colitis. I have tried PT, trigger point injections, chriropractic, ect. Accupunture and massage are heavenly but not covered under insurance. I decided to get my records yesterday as I am looking for a new doctor. In them my doctor questions my accidents in the last year with big question marks.....as supposedly these have happened when he was going to change my meds. I have never been so humiliated in my life! He doesn't understand my anxiety as I do not want to be bedridden again...lose my life....my marriage....and these fears are real. My first husband left because he couldn't handle me being sick. And now to put the icing on the cake....I will never get pregnant again!

I joined this community because there are no support groups here and I really don't know what to do. I feel trapped because no one else here wants to treat me. They act like the doctors at this clinic are "All knowing Gods"! I feel sad, humiliated, alone. If I didn't have my faith in God I really don't know where I would be right now. It is so disappointing when you feel like you've found help and then the rug is pulled out from under you. I guess I just need to know there is someone else out there battling like me and that I am not alone. Someone please help me!

ctbeth responded:
Since you've had arthritis from such a young age, have you consulted with a orthopedic surgeon? Maybe joint replacement could offer you tremendous relief.

NSAIDS are really the treatment of choice for arthritis. Do you know what sort of colitis you had? Are you certain that it wasn't gastritis, which can be an adverse effect of NSAIDS.

Another option is to work with your primary care MD on trying different NSAIDS along with different strategy to reduce the stomach upset that NSAIDS can cause. For arthritis, or other inflammatory conditions, reducing inflammation offers better symptom management than opiates

I see that you're in Seattle. I'm way on the other side of the continent Connecticut

Medicine practice does tend to be regional. Whilst aware that there are people, even participants of this community, who are prescribed opiates for FMS, in New England, it is quite rare that MDs prescribe opiates for FMS.

Please take care of yourself and do not take to staying in bed all day. This is the absolute worst thing that you can do for arthritis. Even if it's just to walk around the block, go to the library. A little shopping- but do something to get out of bed!

Many doctors agree that serotonin has a neuro-biological positive effect on relieving long term pain. You also hint at being depressed. Please consider speaking with your MD about SSRI antidepressants. This may help your pain and depression.

CTB

annette030 responded:
My primary care doctor prescribes my opiates. Since you said your primary care doctor used to be your pain management doctor (but she is actually a nurse practitioner, so primary care nurse practitioner would be clearer). Why can`t she prescribe them for you?

Whatever you do, keep moving, Don`t get stuck by resting too much. I also have arthritis and CMS. I gained way too much weight laying about, it has been very hard to lose it.

Take care, Annette

biancalthompson replied to annette030's response:
Sorry to hear your struggle with Pain Management. I have Degenerative Disk Disease of my lumbar and cervical spine. I am 28. I still work, but its modified. I can't take most oral NSAIDs however Mobic is one I can safely take for long periods of time. You may have to try a few different NSAIDs to find one you can tolerate.

For my back I take a muscle relaxant Robaxin three times a day and take 60mg of Cymbalta. I also alternate Tylenol and safety coated aspirin if I am having a bad day. I don't like narcotics. I never have complete relief of my pain, however me and my PM doctor goal is to keep it to a level that I can tolerate, meaning my sleep is ok and TV is able to distract me enough to ignore it.

Best of luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.