Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Severe back pain
    An_254716 posted:
    I am currently under treatment for lower back pain with an Orthopedic Dr. It started 2 years ago when the pain started to interfere with my daily activities. I went to see my orthopedic Dr. He put me on some pain meds which seemed to do the trick up until now. I am not sure why but nothing relieves my pain now. The best that I can describe the pain is like having back labor, but constant. I have had Xray's which they thought I had a compression fracture, so they ordered a MRI which stated there wasn't one and the Dr. nevr really said what he thought it was, except maybe some dmaged tissue in that area. He gave me a cortisone shot I the spot that hurt, which I thought may have worked until the numbing medicine wore off. Nothing helps it all. My legs will throb at times as well. I am at my wits end. I feel as if the Dr. the Dr. thinks I am after more pain meds, but I am not. I just want to not hurt. Please help, I feel like I m going crazy. Any suggestions would be great. I have 4 children and a husband that rely on me...

    Take the Poll

    What could cause this kind of pain
    • Any answers or suggestions
    • Should I get a second opinion
    View Poll Results
    davedsel responded:

    Definitely time to see another doctor. Spinal Neurologists or Spinal Orthopedic Specialists are the best doctors to see for back pain diagnosis and treatment. You may also need/want to see a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist. These doctors offer a wide variety of treatments.

    I pray you can find relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.



    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.