Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Failed drug test for pain management doc
    An_254726 posted:
    I just got a letter in the mail saying I failed a drug screen. Odd because I was there when They reviewed my test. It was clean. They even refilled my last prescription. I'm seeing a new doctor because of issues with the previous doctor not treating me correctly. Will the new doc be able to see that information? I don't want him to because I don't think I could have failed when I saw the test myself. They said on the phone I'd have to pee for this new doc and I'm prepared to do that. Just need to know how to approach the new guy I guess! Medical records are only given by my consent correct? What if I deny that? What transfers with medical history exactly?
    blessedladyptl responded:
    The patient must sign a release form for a new dr to get the medical records from the previous dr. But, the new dr may be suspicious of what you're hiding if don't agree for them to get the old records. Also, without previous medical records, the dr won't start you out on what you're use to taking and he may or may not give you the same thing after trying other meds.
    annette030 responded:
    I read recently that it was wise to order a copy of your medical records from any doctor before having them sent anywhere so you will know what they say.

    Take care, Annette
    blessedladyptl replied to annette030's response:
    Annette is right. Despite what your dr may tell you or what you may tell your dr, you are never sure what is written in your medical records until you read it for yourself. Getting a copy of your medical records once a year, depending on how often you see your dr(s) is also a good opportunity to have mistakes corrected or to have your own statement entered into your medical records if the dr refuses. The drs office may charge you for making copies or a CD, but in the long run it's worth it. And it is especially worth it if you're in the situation of having to change pain management drs.
    stoogle responded:
    I feel bad for you! I am just starting my pain management transfer escapade! Report them to Medical Association- get a copy of your complaint dated and that will be you ammo in the event of another Dr seeing WRONG record. Good luck!
    blessedladyptl replied to stoogle's response:
    They should get a copy of their medical records Before they make the complaint. If nothing is noted in the medical records showing there was a mistake with the tox screen, they may want to think twice about making a complaint. If they're changing pain dr on their own, in other words the previous drs isn't dismissing them or no longer gonna rx them pain meds, that's one thing. But if they did something they weren't suppose to do, they also need to think twice about making the complaint. Anyone can make a complaint, but the complaint doing what a person thinks it's gonna do is rarely reality in situation like this.

    The person's medical records will either prove their complaint or disprove it. Medical records will be believed over what a patient has to say in a situation like this.
    ctbeth replied to An_254821's response:
    An_254821 replied to ctbeth's response:
    beith is a b!tch & addict
    Anon_57995 replied to An_254821's response:
    Hey Beth,


    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.