Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do Doctor's realize they work FOR US?!
stoogle posted:
I left a message for him to call me back, regarding "personal" want to talk to HIM. Several hours later I get a call, from his secretary. She says" Mr Scesney, the Dr is VERY busy and said he has NO time for calls now. He said you can drive here, and see him at the window here." I said " I was in a car accident which totaled my car. It is not easy now for me to just pop over. I will need him to call me when he can- I understand he is busy". She says" He is very busy for a phone call, can you tell me and I will tell him?" I said NO. Have him call me at his earliest convenience please aty $my home office phone number, the one you just called." There was a pause- she said OK and quickly hung up. DO THESE DR.s REMEMBER THAT THEY WORK FOR US? WE DO NOT NEED TO TREAT THEM AS OUR SUPERIOR!

Take the Poll

How long should you wait in a Doctor's lobby, until you demand to be seen?
  • 5 minutes
  • 10 minutes
  • 15 minutes
  • You should at least be appologized to for the wait after 10 mins
vote
View Poll Results

An_251837 responded:
Doctors of all types are all very busy. In my experience, a 30 minute wait is not unusual. Your expectations are unrealistic, IMHO. You also need to be willing to work with the staff and not always directly with the doctor.

You have posted several times recently about the health care system in this country. This is all reality - the waits, the difficult time contacting a doctor, FDA regulations over prescription medications, HIPAA laws, etc. Griping and complaining on an internet message board will not get results and just frustrate you more. If you can not work with your current doctor then try and find one you like better.

blessedladyptl replied to An_251837's response:
Many people no longer get this type of response from their dr if they have private insurance. If you're on Medicaid and expect to be treated like you're on private insurance, you're going to have a very, very long wait and even then I seriously doubt you will receive any response from the dr. But, you might be told to find another dr. If you're on Medicaid, how long has you been on it ? The reason I ask, is anyone familiar with Medicaid knows what to expect and what not to expect. You don't have to have been on it yourself, but if you've observed how others are treated, you know more what the reality of it is. And if your state has expanded Medicaid, it will only get worse.

blessedladyptl responded:
Also if you're on Medicaid, the dr is paid by the government and paid very little I might add. They also have different rules, etc that apply to Medicaid patients. You're lucky you don't have to wait 12 hrs to see someone who is a medical student/intern.

Anon_2912 responded:
It depends on what your issue is. I always just leave a message with his nurse with that I am calling about, and I have no problem getting a call back, may not be until the evening or following day. Now if it is something "personal" and I only want to discuss with him , then I make an appointment with him.

But 9 times out of 10 I leave message with his nurse. In my medical life I have nothing personal....when it comes to the staff at my doctor's office, I have no shame or embarrassment on what my issue is medically....

Anon_2912 responded:
I just re-read, and the poll is for "being seen", but the complaint indicates "not being called back".

As far as "demand" to be seen, will good luck with that...We can inquire on why it is past the 15 mins to be called back into the doctor's office, but after that I don't think there is a time frame.

Sometimes doctors have emergencies with a prior patient causing them to get behind.

I understand the frustration but also see the doctor's side of it as well. I work sales and customer services, and "time" is not always something we can control. There are a lot of reason's on why we get behind. However, I do expect an apology and acknowledgment on being late.

annette030 responded:
You need to discuss this with a doctor before you need it. My doctor wishes to see folks in person, I am agreeable to that. She has always had a great medical asst. and office staff. It is the office staff or scheduler that makes her appts. that keeps her on time. That person decides how long a person should get for an appt. If it takes longer than that, she gets behind. I do not mind if she is behind once in awhile, but not every time I go and see her. I almost always see her within 20 minutes of my appt. time. She always apologizes if she is running late. By the way, I am on Medicare.

Take care, Annette

blessedladyptl responded:
Drs who treat Medicaid patients are getting more patients and this is only going to get worse. From Jan 1, 2013-Dec 31, 2014 PCP's that accept Medicaid and are current on their accredication will receive Enhanced Payments from the Federal Government. After Dec 31, 2014, it will be up to each state to pay that amount, which I doubt few will do. If you're able to just see your dr without having to wait for 5-10 Hours, then you're doing better than many Medicaid patients.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.