Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tension Myositis Syndrome
ctbeth posted:
Has anyone heard if this syndrome?

A friend of mine who I hadn't seen in years told me that she recently was diagnosed with this syndrome.

Having not herd of it before, I did a Google search.

Most of the sites were of attorneys advertising assistance for persons who are seeking SSDI.

Since the link below is from the home page of the TMS organization.

Perhaps it may be information that can be of use to others.

http://www.tensionmyositissyndrome.org

rosielou responded:
Occasionally someone on the Fibromyalgia board posts links about TMS. This is the most recent, maybe it'll answer some of your questions.

youtube.com/watch?v=vsR4wydiIBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ctbeth replied to rosielou's response:
Thank you, rosielou,

Actually, I don't have questions about this possible syndrome.

It was new info for me, and I posted it hoping that it may help someone else.

The link you posted has lots of info, as well.

I am curious if this is now a commonly- appointed diagnosis, or if it's still speculative.

I think it is a positive in that there is a specific method of successful treatment.

Possible patient disdain with the diagnosis, is that it is clearly a psychological disorder, is that MDs will not prescribe opiates for a psychosomatic diagnosis.

A big part of the treatment is to get the patient to relinquish the "sick role" and all pain management treatments.

The success rate for this treatment does speak quote loud as to the validity that this type of pain syndrome is, indeed, psychosomatic.

I would think that being thus diagnosed would be relief to sufferers, as there is much reason for hope of getting better.

The clinical challenge will be to get those effected to become psychologically intact enough to give up the attention seeking behavior that is a sad and pathological aspect of the aforementioned "sick role"

The sufferer must see the rewards of being well as desirable as the rewards she gets by being sick

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Or the medical people will discover something physical is causing the symptoms, I can recall the olden days when asthma was considered an attention seeking behavior. Then reactive airways were discovered to be the cause.

Take care, Annette

ctbeth replied to annette030's response:
Naturally. Think Heliobacter pylori.

rosielou replied to ctbeth's response:
Oh yes, I see that now. Some days my reading comprehension skills don't match up with my reading speed.

I had seen the video before, and watched it again.

Whilst it all sounds well and good, I wonder if it is just this one MD to the rich and famous who holds that mojo.

If you hear any news on this , do share, ok.

HNY,

Beth

I've looked into it and only found the one doctor, and his group, promoting the TMS theory. Have you found any studies, tests, or anything like that to support it?

Hi Rosielou,

Yes, I have read a few papers

You can find these by searching pubmed.org

Pubmed.org has thousands upon thousand of published scientific articles on just about any science/ medical topic.

Yes, thank you.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.