Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Will My PM Doctor kick me out for this?
An_255317 posted:
Hi all! I go to a pain management doctor for neck problems and recently, I went in for an appointment with them. They had me submit to a urine screen. Normally this would not be a problem at all for me as the only thing I take is the opiates the doctor has given me (normally.) I have an old script for Xanax .25 from my primary care doctor from when I was having horrible anxiety and panic attacks earlier in the year (September to be exact). I have had a pretty bad panic attack recently and it just so happened to work out perfectly that the panic attack to place on the day before my appointment and I took one of the Xanax's. I rarely take the medication so when I filled out the paper work, I didn't even think to put it down on the paper work since it's not a daily, weekly or even monthly medication for me. (I disclosed my daily's only.)It's really an as needed when I really need it thing. When I got the urine screen done, I told the nurse my situation and said I would be more than happy to bring the prescription bottle in to either my next appointment or bring the RX number back later that day. The nurse was very reassuring and said, don't worry about it! (She didn't give me further instructions from there, although I am going to bring the bottle with me to the next visit). I'm just very worried now after reading some people's posts about PM doctors that he will discharge me from the practice. It's upsetting that the timing was just right for this to happen. I am an otherwise very good patient. I make all of my appointments and am very receptive to my doctor's orders. He was also impressed with how good I am about using my opioid pain killers (I don't use them too often). The main thing I'm worried about is that I did sign a drug contract which advised me to stay away from tranquilizers. I was RXed this medication before I even knew my doctor existed. That same contract also says that I should stay away from alcohol and my doctor does know that I drink. Do you guys think I am at risk of being discharged? I have not heard anything from them and my appt is next tuesday! Please help! Again, these meds were RXed to ME! This is the only script of Xanax that I have ever filled. Please please help! -Angie
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ctbeth responded:
You've violated your contract.

Since you had the prescription for the Xanax before you were prescribed the opiate, you should have disclosed this to the pain management doctor when asked what your meds you are prescribed.

If her asked what meds you take, they don't just want to know your daily meds, but all your meds, especially prescribe, but OTC and vitamins, herbs, etc. I' cannot imagine that you weren't asked.

Whether you'll be dismissed from the practice is your doctor's decision.

Since you asked if we think that you'll be dismissed.

Again, it's up to yr doctor, but my guess is that yes, you'll be dismissed

CTB

Anon_57995 replied to ctbeth's response:
If you hadn't a urine screen at your last appt, were you going to tell your pain MD that you have a Rx for Xanax?

77grace responded:
Hi Angie ,
I agree that you probally should have let your Dr. know that you had a pres. for Xanax but I can understand your situation !If you normally don't take it ,I would just explain that to him !It's great that you did tell his nurse so it's not like its a secret!Plus I think that since the ua was at your last appointment and you have not heard anything you'll probally be o.k. !
I believe in honestesty ,s
o just explain to him
Best of luck 77grace !

goldengirl2121 replied to ctbeth's response:
Should I start looking for a new PM doctor? Should I even go to my appointment next week? If he's just going to dismiss me, I probably don't want to spend the money on the co-pay. I'm going to call the office today to make sure I still have an appointment. Ugh.

blessedladyptl responded:
It all depends on your dr and what he has told his staff about how to deal with this. Also, just because you tell a lab tech or nurse something Does Not Mean It Is In Your Medical Records. I would go to my next appt and take your prescription of Xanax, along with everything else you take, even if it is on a PRN basis. The date the Xanax was filled and the number of tablets left along with the level of Xanax that was in your system, should be enough to prove you're telling the truth. But, it all depends on the dr. The level of a med in your system tells how much/often you're taking it.

goldengirl2121 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Excellent! Yes! If they test for levels of Xanax in my system, he will know I am telling the truth. I also was planning on taking everything with me. I'm going to call the front desk today and explain my story again. Hopefully he has mercy and doesn't take me off the regimen that he has me on.

77grace replied to goldengirl2121's response:
Hi goldengirl2121 ,
I think blessedladyptl has a great idea !
Please keep in mind that a lot of Dr.s are very understanding too !Maybe I've just been lucky ,but I have some things in the past happen that weren't ggod but when I talked to my Dr. openly and honestly they were o.k. with it !
Take care and best of luck , 77grace

An_255176 replied to goldengirl2121's response:
They do not test me for that one. They test for just about everything else. Since all my heath care is in-network all of my current scripts are available for review.

ctbeth replied to An_255176's response:
Hi again,

I'm kind of assuming that An_225176 and goldengirl2121 are both the same.

I hope that it works out for you.

Please don't take my reply of last night as saying that I want you to be dismissed; you asked for opinion if you may get dismissed. This doesn't mean that I want you to, just opinion based upon how doctors here are known to handle contract violations

Best of luck, and please let us know how it turns out for you, ok ?

jimsjinx responded:
I would just tell your pm dr how you were feeling that day and you had a Rx for it. He'll understand. Don't get to worried about it.

jimsjinx replied to ctbeth's response:
A little harsh comment!

blessedladyptl replied to An_255176's response:
Almost every dr that does tox screens tests for benzodiazepines, zanex is in the group.

An_255176 replied to ctbeth's response:
nope are not 2 different people. I am not test for them but it is in my chart that I am taking ativan

blessedladyptl replied to An_255176's response:
It depends on the dr and the wording in the pain contract. There have been patients dismissed, even though they told there dr they were taking certain meds prescribed by another dr, because that dr wasn't the one that prescribed it. Very few drs are going to go through a patients chart to try and find meds they didn't prescribe. If you don't have a copy of your pain contact, you might want to get one so you can read exactly what it says.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.