Skip to content
RE: My headache Hell
meaningfulc1952 posted:
I have had headaches for most of my life and have a very good neurologist that prescribes the appropriate meds. I also have chronic pain from multiple jaw replacement surgeries. I do not know what is causing the following: My balance is so messed up that I do not know when I am going to bump into something and I am so dizzy which is not normal for me. I have summatripan for the migraines but it is not helping anymore. Normally it would knock my headache out, but not now. I did go to a clinic that has a cat scan machine and they did one for my head and neck. I also have severe neck problems. The dr. gave me two shots of dilaudid and it helped for a while but then after an hour or so the headache from hell was back. I have gone to this clinic before and they know all of the medications that I take. I always tell them every thing. I also recently had a very bad UTI and was given the meds to treat that.

I have a pain management dr. also. Just in case you wondered.

I am at the end of my rope with this strange and weird headache. I have total jaw joint replacement on both sides of my face and I do not know if they are any good now. It has been a long time since I saw an oral surgeon to check that out. This particular headache is on one side of my head and very different from any other I have in the past.

I would appreciate any suggestions about this. I am at a loss to figure this out.

meaningfulc1952

77grace responded:
Hi meaningfulc1952 ,
I nfeel for you sister !!I also suffer from chronic headaches!
Right now I'm o.k. but I will have them for days and weeks !!I think you really need a new check up !When was your last real Nuero physical ???You know where they check your reflexs and everything ???MrI of neck ?
I know for me one problem is the imitrex does not work as well so I take it more frequently then I should and then possible it's Rebound headaches ????Have you heard that ????
Try not to use the imitrex too often !!!I know that 's almost impossible when it feels like your head is going to blowm up !
I'm here for you 77grace

meaningfulc1952 replied to 77grace's response:
Hi Grace,
I tried to get in to see my neurologist before my scheduled appointment and they said that they had nothing available. They told me to go to the emergency room.

This last weekend I went to a clinic that has a cat scan and they told me that there was nothing abnormal than what I already have. I have been there before,

What concerns me the most is that I have balance problems and that is very abnormal for me. I do know about rebound headaches. Also being dizzy and my eyes are not clear like they were before this started I mean that my vision is affected sometimes.
I have had a UTI and have been treated for it, but it is still a real problem..

I am not sure what type of dr. to go to. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
meaningfulc1952

annette030 replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
Call the neurologist back and ask to be put on their cancellation list in case anyone calls in and cancels. The best doc to see is one who has already seen you.

As far as the Urinary tract infection goes. if you have finished the antibiotics you were given, and still have symptoms, see your regular doctor for that.

If you have any symptoms like changes in balance etc., and cannot get into see your neurologist, go to the emergency room. They may only do whatever tests are needed to find out if you are dying, ask the doctor there who to follow up with and do so.

Take care, Annette

meaningfulc1952 replied to annette030's response:
Hi annette030,
I will call my neurologist's office and see if they have a cancellation, but I do not drive in freeway traffic. I always have to ask someone that I know if they can take me to all of my dr's appointments.

My daughter had brain surgery a little more than a year ago. She was frustrated with her neurologist and I suggested that she see my neurologist. Things went fine until she asked for her medical records because she was in a car accident and it was the other person that caused it. When she got her medical records there were many mistakes and she was furious. In fact their office made snide comments to her and she left crying. Now that was really unprofessional on the dr's staff. Then she showed them to me and I also found another mistake and pointed it out to her. She called their office many times asking to correct her records so she could
get things finalized with the auto insurance companies.

So, you see at least 2 of the women that work at my neurologist's office have been rude and have not helped her at all in correcting her medical records,. This is very unfortunate because he is my dr. too. This makes for a very uncomfortable situation for me now. I have seen my dr. since this happened and I do not discuss this with him because I think that it would make things worse than better.,

I was not there when this happened in my dr's office.
Do you think that they should make the corrections so she can get this auto accident settled. Also, do you think that they should correct her med records now that she knows that they have many mistakes?
I know that this is very complicated and I sure don't have the answers.

What do you think about this mess?
meaningfulc1952

annette030 replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
My husband got put on a cancellation list and he got an appt. within three weeks rather than the three months wait he had at the time. He had a couple of weeks notice, so it worked out great for us. It was a very popular, well respected doctor.

As far as your daughter goes, if she is an adult, you are better off to leave her to deal with the doctor, with your advice as you decide to give it. As a retired nurse, I am familiar with the mistakes that can happen in medical records. The ONLY person who can correct them is the person who wrote them. She should calmly ask the doctor who wrote the note, or signed the chart to make any necessary corrections. Do not bother with office staff any more than absolutely necessary to make appointments, etc.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.