Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain media after finger amputation.
zygrot24 posted:
Hello everyone. I had an accident at work on the 27th taking the tip of my index finger and about half of my middle finger. The ER doctor I went to that day prescribed me oxycodone. I had my first real appointment today with my doctor. They cut the bandage off I've had on since it happened. Asked me my pain levels and at the time it was about an 8. When I was finished with everything they set me another appointment for Friday, but didn't give me any prescription for my pain. The town I went to for my appointment has a bad problem with prescription drugs so I didn't want to ask for more in fear of them thinking I was an addict. I have a few left from the first script so I hope they last. Why wouldn't they give me anything for my pain, when it's obvious I am hurting.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

I think you need to tell your doctor that your pain is not being managed. Ask him/her for advice and see what is recommended. Never ask for prescription pain medication, just state your symptoms in this way.

Have you filed a Workmans Compensation claim and contracted a WC attorney? Two essential step in getting proper care and monetary compensation for the loss of your finger.

I pray you can find answers, relief and help soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

77grace responded:
Hi zygrot24 ,
I am sorry to hear about your accident and wish you were not in so much pain !!!Did you tell the Dr. about the oxycodone ??Maybe he thought you had enough ?Did you discusss with him about the pain ???Some say not to ask for pain meds but I think yopu should ask for what he thinks will help your pain because you are really hurting !Sometimes one needs to speak up!
Best of luck !! Plus you obvisly (SP) have a real problem that would cause pain !
77grace

annette030 responded:
You need to use your voice and tell the doctor you are in pain and are not sure the pills you have from the emergency room will last until your next appointment. The best time to tell him this is during your appointment, but it is not too late, phone him just this one time, and ask over the phone. Be prepared to have to drive over and pick up the Rx. in person, it is against the law for the doctor to call it in to the pharmacy.

Do not worry about the office location or any reputation the town has, if necessary act dumb.

Take care, Annette

zygrot24 replied to annette030's response:
I did speak up and I got prescribed vicodin 500s....for losing two of my fingers. This doesn't make any sense when dentists usually prescribes vicodins for getting a couple of teeth pulled. My wife and I just had our first child, and I'd actually like to take care of her and not be in pain the whole time.

Anon_2912 responded:
Have you tried using something OTC in between your dosages? I know not everyone is the same when it comes to pain.

My son (19) was in ICU for a bad fall (84ft fall) on concrete. He broke just about every bone in his body, some internal damage. When he was released after 5 days in the hospital he was given pain medication for about 7 days, (Hydro) only. We knew he would need it for about another 2 weeks especially since he had to start PT for his broken pelvis. They did give him a 30day (take 3 times a day), but I knew he would be in a lot of pain so I had him take Ibuprofen 800 in between his dosages. After his pain meds ran out he stayed with the Ibuprofen 800 , he did not like the way the pain meds made him feel (mentally).

I guess what I am saying is trying taking something in between your dosages.

ipontificate responded:
Hi, My name is Bill. I'm not a doctor or have any medical training for that matter. However I can relate to your experience and tell you how my pain was managed in a similar situation. 34 years ago, I had a wood shop accident involving my hand and a planer. The result was that I cut the entire pad off of my index, middle, ring fingers. The ring finger suffered the most injury in that the nerve and 50% of the bone was severed. The pain was severe. I was hospitalized for 3 days and given shots for the pain. Then after being released I was prescribed Percocet (Oxycodone and Ancetaminophen) for about 5 to 7 days to address the pain. That was the end of the pain medicine except for regular Tylenol. I can say that my fingers hurt for a long time and were extremely sensitive. If you are interested I can tell you how after the wounds healed, I overcame the sensitivity over time. I'm sorry for your loss and hope that your fingers heal quickly. I was stationed in Turkey at the time and the doctors and I were more worried about ensuring that the wounds would not get infected. As the Turkish people would bid you: "May this pain pass quickly for you."[br>[br>-Bill

annette030 replied to zygrot24's response:
Try them and see if they work for you, amputations are not as bad as one would think, once the doctor cleans them up. My husband had lost the end of a finger and the meds you describe worked fine for him. If they don't work, just tell the doctor.

Take care, Annette

An_255176 responded:
I had cut off my index finger and had it reattached the pain from the injury & the surgery was pretty much done in a week.

zygrot24 replied to An_255176's response:
Had surgery one both fingers yesterday, low and behold, I was put on vicodin 500s again. I am up now at 1:15 because I can't fall asleep due to the pain. Called the doctor earlier and said that the vicodin just wasn't cutting it and was told to just up the dose. Still in incredible pain. I thought they made medicine for a reason, but I guess chopping off two fingers isn't one of them. Seems like the doctor thinks I am just telling him lies. I am at my Whits end right now. I just had my first daughter, and I can even play with her because the pain is unreal. I have no idea what to do

zygrot24 replied to zygrot24's response:
Also, I had told him Wednesday before we decided on surgery, that the vicodin wasn't working with treating my pain. It just stuns me that all I am getting is vicodin 500s, when I have called and talked to him multiple times saying that my pain wasn't being treated correctly.

zygrot24 replied to zygrot24's response:
Sorry for the triple post, I just can't get to sleep and keep thinking of things. I haven't seen any other doctor than him, so I know he doesn't think i am a doctor hopper, but hey maybe he thinks I am faking

zygrot24 responded:
Might just say to hell with it and go to the er. I have used my voice with my doctor and it seems like he is refusing to prescribe me anything else. He also told me no OTC meds, because if I am taking 8 vicodin a day it isn't healthy to take and otc

An_246419 replied to zygrot24's response:
Vicodin has a lot of Tylenol in it and too much can damage your liver, so be careful of the OTC meds. I am an amputee and it varies from person to person on what you feel, but if you are having a lot of pain maybe you need to talk to your doctor about going to a pain clinic.
You might want to save the strongest pain medicine for nights so that you can get a good nites sleep, sleep does wonders when it comes to making you feel better. During the day try OTC medicine or other things. I get relief by rubbing my amputated limb when it hurts and if I can distract my mind from the pain it seems to lessen it. The weather may affect your pain level also. Over time (hopefully) the pain may reduce itself. God be with you.

zygrot24 replied to An_246419's response:
I told my doctor that the vicodin wasn't working, and I have been having trouble sleeping because of the pain. I got a response. I was told I would not be prescribed anything stronger for pain, and if I am having trouble sleeping to go to walmart and buy Melatonin. I am so confused right now. This will probably be the worst pain I experience in my life(knock on wood) and I don't understand why he is refusing to treat my pain. This is a workers comp case, hmm maybe that has something to do with it. I am so lost right now I don't know what to do.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.