Skip to content
I so much wish to reply to all of you.
james__leroy posted:
I read and read, hear your long battles with this horrid condition that plagues us. I see how some of you are enduring this nightmare for 10 - 15 years. I can't comprehend it.
It has been 2 years now that I have had what would be called severe neuropathy pain, although I have been in pain for a long, long time. It started after my hip bone began to die and dissolve away. That was pretty painful. But two weeks after my hip replacement, I lost the feeling in both of my feet; they just went numb. Since then the neuropathy has spred to my legs, hands and arms mostly, but have to say that I feel it everywhere, too.
My left hand first started to go numb at least seven years prior to all of this, but was not that painful, just an annoyance. I have been battling an autoimmune disease for 15 years at least now and is no doubt the cause of my neuropathy; it was the cause of my hip problems.
For the last two years now my neuropathy has progressed from an uncomfortable numbness and tingling pain, to severe pain at the highest levels. I really thought I knew what pain was when my hip was dissolving away, but I have had to come to this new discovery of what pain really is.
Two months ago I had to have seven more stents put into my heart because of calcium build-up; I already had three implanted from three separate times from years prior. Each time I have an operation, it seems to weaken my body a bit further than before; I expected no less this time around.
It was two weeks after my last heart procedure my pain level went to a new high. I have since had to double my pain medication in that where I would take only one, I must take two to feel any relief. And on top of that, I am having to take more thoughout the day. There are times I wake-up and can only cry and barely hold back from screaming, until I can take enough pain medication to make a dent. I usually then just fall back asleep again. This is where I am now getting to the point of this topic at hand.
I try and explain this to the ones that matter and they quickly tell me that I have now become addicted to my pain medication. This crushes my spirits to no end, for without this tool I cannot see any reason to continue with this life I find myself living in. Don't get me wrong, I want to live, I have much to do and my family certainly needs me to be around. But I'm afraid without the pain relief, as minor as it is, I would simply fall to pieces; how can anyone endure pain as this for long.
I hear all of you long-time endure'ers and it makes me feel there is hope of living through this for the long term.
Thank you and don't give up.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry you are in so much pain and fully understand. If you read my story you will see how much I understand.

Please feel free to come to this community to ask questions or just to vent.

I will be praying that you can find emotional and physical pain relief.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

77grace responded:
Hi James ,
Welcome ,and I want you to know know that I understand how you feel !It's not easy living in chronic pain but it realy helps having each other !
I have suffered with pain of one sort or another for about 30 years !Thankfully the worst of it is about half of that time !
I wanted to comment on one thing for now !Remember there's a difference in Addiction and dependence !I think that since you have been on pain meds a while that your body gets used to it and that's Dependance !It dose's mean your an addict !
I 'll post more latter ,I'm slow at typing and don't want to get cut off !
I am here for you ,Take care ,77grace

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.