Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Pain Bites
    An_255478 posted:
    I've had lower half body pain for about 18 months now. I've gone from one doctor to another. Last neurologist told me my MRI was "fine", but the nurse came in and with an appointment to a orthopedic doctor. Got an email from my ins. to visit the website. I did and it stated my MRI shows a ruptured disc in my lower back. I see him next week. All I think about is the pain I'm in. It hurts to stand, sit, walk, do any activities, even hurts horribly while laying down. If I don't get an answer soon, I'm thinking of killing myself. This is not what I call "quality of life".

    Take the Poll

    Am I over-reacting?
    • Yes
    • No
    • I understand, pain bites!
    • Give the doctors a chance
    • Go to Mayo Clinic if no solution is found by orthopedic doctor.
    View Poll Results
    davedsel2 responded:
    I am sorry you are in so much pain but fully understand. I have been managing moderate to severe chronic pain for over 35 years.

    You need to do your research. Here are links to websites that have information about spinal problems and solutions:

    WebMD Back Pain Health Center:


    Spine Universe:

    The best doctor(s) to see for spinal problems are spinal orthopedic specialists/surgeons or spinal neurosurgeons/neurologists. After seeing one or more spinal specialists for an accurate diagnosis, you should see a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist. These doctors go deeper and offer a wide variety of treatments.

    Chronic pain affects our entire beings - mind, soul and body. You may want to consider therapy with a counselor to help you deal with the emotional aspect. There are therapists who deal specifically with chronic pain patients.

    Remember, there is always hope and always help.

    Keep moving as much as possible. Keep a positive attitude, Keep doing your research.

    I pray you find answers and relief soon.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    An_255176 responded:
    I think you need to get a handle on your life. You have a highly treatable condition. It is hard not to get upset listening to whine. Imagine what you have going on with each and every single disc, or how about bone spurs growing through the nerve root. The first doctor you need to see is a psychiatrist. To threaten suicide so easily speaks of much greater problems than your back!!!!
    annette030 responded:
    Nearly everyone has disc disease in their back by the time they are adults, the ruptured disc may not be causing your pain at all, depending on the level of the disc. It is impossible to tell from the test you had whether the pain you are having is related to the ruptured disc at all. Read as much as you can about disc disease, chronic pain, etc. See several doctors, then ask them intelligent questions, get answers, and trust your gut feelings.

    Take care, Annette
    annette030 replied to davedsel2's response:
    Dave has great suggestions as usual, his links are great.

    One other choice I suggest is seeing a neuroradiologist or having him/her read your imaging tests. My husband was offered this and I found him to be a great help.

    Take care, Annette
    An_255176 replied to annette030's response:
    davedsel2 replied to An_255176's response:
    Who are you and why are you questioning Annette's response? Anonymous posting like this are not at all helpful.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    meaningfulc1952 responded:
    I completely understand what you are talking about and how you feel. I strongly encourage you to see a psychiatrist or some type of professional that can help you with your
    depression and your pain problems also.

    Do not give up. There are professional doctors and others that
    would be of help to you. Do not give into your pain problems.

    Do you really think that your family would be pleased if you
    took your own life? They would be devastated. I know about this personally.,

    My best friend was only in her mid 30's and had chronic to
    severe pain and she did commit suicide. This put me into
    a deep depression of my own and I had to seek professional
    help for myself. Please do not do something like you are thinking about.

    Please, seek help and get a family member to help you if you can. In my case, I have found that taking a family member to some of my dr. appointments is very helpful and
    sometimes you need a an advocate to be their with you.

    I feel your pain, but please do not do this. There is always
    hope and I can tell you that I have not given up and I am not.

    I wish you all the best of luck and I am praying for you.

    cweinbl responded:
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I seem to be confused why your doc would say that you're fine while the MRI shoes a herniated disc. Puzzling.

    The very best specialist to see is a spine surgeon. This is an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon who has completed a fellowship in spine surgery. These specialists can be found at or near teaching hospitals. In my experience, a fellowship-trained spine surgeon is light years beyond other spine practitioners. Over the past 41 years, I've seen a multitude of specialists and their knowledge, experience and techniques are nowhere close to that of a spine surgeon.

    BTW, I'm not sure why you mentioned the Cleveland Clinic, but I went to Cleveland for my final two operations. In addition to the Clinic, the spine surgery fellowship at Case Western Reserve University (through University Hospitals) has some very talented spine surgeons). WebMD will not allow us to use the names of physicians. But both hospitals have excellent reputations with their fellowships.

    Meanwhile, you can request a referral to a comprehensive pain management program. Comprehensive means that they offer a wide milieu of treatment options, including TENS, PT, kinesiotherapy, massage, biofeedback, meditation, acupuncture, etc., in addition to injections. If all of those options fail, you could consider a spinal cord stimulator or an intrathecal infusion pump (if you are a candidate).

    If all of those options fail, then you could ask your spine surgeon if you are a candidate for surgery. It should always be a last resort option because the success rate is little more than 60% and the scar tissue and nerve damage that frequently results from that surgery can be a lifelong curse of added pain.

    Here is some very useful research on the success rates of all forms of spinal interventions:;12;699-802.pdf . I think you'll find it very useful.

    Finally, I would pay no attention at all to someone who comes here suggesting that your story is made up. None of us here knows you. So how could anyone suggest that your story is or is not real? Thankfully, very few of such ignorant responses appear in these discussion groups. It probably should have been removed by the system.
    An_255531 responded:
    I think you you have a much bigger problem than your back pain. Your emotional pain is much greater. See a psychiatrist first. Get into a pain management program that treats all aspects of life that the pain effects
    ctbeth responded:
    Let's get this straight, and you MUST be honest: do you want to die, or do you want the pain to stop?

    As Annette said, and she and I are Registered Nurses: by age thirty-five, most people have some level of disc bulge or herniation.

    One may have a significant-sized herniation and feel no pain. Someone else may have a small bulge and have terrible pain.

    Degenerative disc disease is a bit of a misnomer as it's not a disease and, although there is some degeneration, this doesn't mean that the discs will continue to degenerate and the condition will become progressively worse. You really should search Degenerative Disc Disease, or syndrome. This should lessen your anxiety.

    The neurologist ( was it a neuro surgeon?) would be able to tell, mostly related to the location of the herniation and as it related to the discomfort you're feeling, if the herniation (bulge- same thing) is located on the area that correlates to the pain.

    It does seem as if so e psychological support would be helpful for you.

    I find it sad and shocking that you would post that you're considering suicide because of pain that originates from a very treatable condition.

    Meanwhile, try some OTC anti-inflammatory meds- Advil, Motrin, something like that ( generics are less costly and do the same thing)

    Please post again after you've seen the orthopedist.

    Physical therapy and a Medrol dose pack are usually the first treatments. For many, thiese interventions may be adequate to relieve your distress.

    Good luck.
    ctbeth replied to An_255517's response:
    I think you mean, "severe pain", not "serve pain", right?

    You are too, too wrong; many of is live with severe pain for years, or decades.

    The originator of this discussion is not seeking attention, but answers to her valid concerns; you are seeking attention.

    This is not a community whereby members make none of the judgements that you are posting regarding Anon_255478.

    If you don't like her discussion, then do not participate.

    I am glad that she has come to this community for help, and I hope that she feels improved sense of hope by writing her concerns.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.