Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Migraine headaches
biancalthompson posted:
I am 28 years old, I have chronic migraines that I am struggling to control. I am on Elavail 25mg at bedtime and Feriocet 2 tabs every 6 hours for pain. These use to take care of it. However, the last few weeks or so I have had a hard time breaking my migraine cycle. Does anyone have any techniques or treatment that works for them so I can have some ideas when I get to the doctor.

atti_editor responded:
Hi biancalthompson,

Here are some articles that I found that give some treatment options for migraines that you might find helpful. Some you can bring up to your doctor (ex: accupuncture or biofeedback) if you think they would help, and some you can do at home (ex: diet changes and stress management tips).
I hope that you are able to find something that relieves your migraine symptoms!
-Atti

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Bianca,

One thing to consider when looking at your worsening headache problem is the issue of rebound headaches. Rebound headaches are now considered to be a major contributor to difficulties with headache management. Fioricet is one of the medications considered to pose a risk for this type of problem. The theory behind rebound headaches is that a medication relieves the symptoms for a period of time, say several hours, and then the headache comes back stronger and stronger than before, creating a rebound effect.

It might be worth talking to your doctor about this and discussing alternative approaches.

annette030 replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
I found discussing this with my neurologist very helpful, he could figure out from the time of my last dose of whatever drug I was taking, and the time my next headache started, if it was a rebound or not.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.