Includes Expert Content
Migraine headaches
biancalthompson posted:
I am 28 years old, I have chronic migraines that I am struggling to control. I am on Elavail 25mg at bedtime and Feriocet 2 tabs every 6 hours for pain. These use to take care of it. However, the last few weeks or so I have had a hard time breaking my migraine cycle. Does anyone have any techniques or treatment that works for them so I can have some ideas when I get to the doctor.

atti_editor responded:
Hi biancalthompson,

Here are some articles that I found that give some treatment options for migraines that you might find helpful. Some you can bring up to your doctor (ex: accupuncture or biofeedback) if you think they would help, and some you can do at home (ex: diet changes and stress management tips).
I hope that you are able to find something that relieves your migraine symptoms!
-Atti

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Bianca,

One thing to consider when looking at your worsening headache problem is the issue of rebound headaches. Rebound headaches are now considered to be a major contributor to difficulties with headache management. Fioricet is one of the medications considered to pose a risk for this type of problem. The theory behind rebound headaches is that a medication relieves the symptoms for a period of time, say several hours, and then the headache comes back stronger and stronger than before, creating a rebound effect.

It might be worth talking to your doctor about this and discussing alternative approaches.

annette030 replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
I found discussing this with my neurologist very helpful, he could figure out from the time of my last dose of whatever drug I was taking, and the time my next headache started, if it was a rebound or not.

Take care, Annette