Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RE: My Pain Management Dr. Requires Monthly Drug Tests Now
meaningfulc1952 posted:
Hello to all,
I recently was told at my last visit at my pain mgt. dr. appointment that from now on every month we are to have a urine drug test. It is mandatory from what I was told.

My question to you all is this:
Do you think that my medical insurance is going to pay for this every month?

I recently received an EOB from my primary insurance co. stating that they would not pay for my last visit at my pain mgt. dr's office. I have not contacted my insurance co. yet, but plan to. I think that having a drug test every month is ridiculous if you ask me. If my insurance co. will not pay for this every month I have to say that I kind of agree with them. I am not financially able to pay for it out of my pocket every month. I pay my co-pay when I see my
pain management dr. every month.

Do you think that this is something that I should be upset about or not? I do not mind doing the urine drug test that is requested, but I do think that this is just plain stupid. Before I was informed about the new requirements, they were doing random drug testing.

I have no problem in cooperating with my pain mgt. office with drug testing. I just think that my insurance co. is going to not pay for this every month now.

Meaningfulc52

An_255813 responded:
I am tested every month. My clinic is at a teaching hospital. Unfortunately I think this something we will be seeing more of.

blessedladyptl responded:
It is left to the drs discretion if they want to do drug screens. Some insurance companies will pay for them, but some will not. If your insurance com won't pay for it, you need to get a letter from them stating that. Then ask your dr is he can give you a discount for it since you will be paying out of pocket.

annette030 responded:
It depends on how they, the folks in the doctor`s office, code it, as well as the insurance company. My insurance, Medicare, refused to pay for it as they did not consider it medically necessary. I told my doctor and I got no further bills for it from the lab. I also kept an eye on my Medicare notices and they were not billed again.

Take care, Annette

kenangelmha responded:
If the drug is an opiate the test is to make sure you are not taking other drugs.
FDA would be critical if it was not done..... after a year or so if Dr. decides you do not have a tendency toward abuse he may cut it back to every few months but he has to cover his ass and you can't blame him.

FDA "blueprint" virtually requires it so it should be covered.... they usually see this in addicts on methadone and may not cover that.... they need to be told by Dr that you are a PAIN patient.... not an addict.

Be glad that you have a Dr who will prescribe it at all

Being a responsible opiate user requires a mature response on the part of the patient. MOST pain patients take more than prescribed and get into trouble. If you do have exacerbations of pain TELL the Dr right away..... he mad allow occasional "rescue doses" BUT he knows about them; you keep them to a minimum and everythings OK

blessedladyptl replied to kenangelmha's response:
The FDA does not in any manner require drug screens. A patient receiving Methadone for pain is not the same as one receiving Methadone due to addiction.

annette030 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Ditto, blessedladyptl, is correct. The FDA does not require urine drug screens for chronic pain patients that I am aware of at all. You can check on their website for information.

Take care, Annette

smashley217 responded:
I think it's a bit ridiculous. Usually they will do a random then if it comes back that you're not taking your medication or if other things are in your system ,like illegal drugs, they will do a monthly test. I would feel like they were treating me more like an addict than a chronic pain patient.

blessedladyptl responded:
If it comes back with no prescribed meds in your system or meds that aren't prescribed by that dr or are illegal,you are fired 99.9% of the time.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.