Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Flagged as a drug seeker by ER Doctor....PLEASE HELP!
krc1108 posted:
I have been diagnosed with chrons disease in September 2011 after emergency surgery and 9 months of being pregnant and misdiagnosed and they removed 5 inches of my small intestine. I had surgery again in February 2013 where they removed 2 feet of my small intestine due to the inflammation killing it. I have a great GP who manages my pain but in between I have flare up that's cause me to have bloody vomit and diarrhea and excruciating pain. One of these episodes happened just the other day and my boyfriend carried me to the car and took me to the closest ER this being one that asked me not to come back but as I screamed and puked the whole way there I did not notice. The doctor came in and treated me with Zofran and steroids and fluid and dilaudid. After the CT results came back he came in and told me there was nothing wrong and that the state put me on a care plan that I would no longer be able to receive narcotics unless I came in with something actually physically wrong that they could see....I need to know what actions I can take if any to get my name unflagged as a drug seeker because this is totally unfair im a mother of a 3 1/2 year old and I cant afford to be laid up in hospitals let alone at home curled up in the fetal position in agony. I have an apt with my GP in 4 days to discuss this issue and see what I can do any advice is appreciated and god bless.

blessedladyptl responded:
Did Medicaid put you in a Lock-in program ? If they did you need to talk to your dr. You also need to pursue getting off of it, if your dr agrees to help you.

They often do this if you get pain meds from different drs, even if it was legit and you had referrals. All they look at is the different drs names and the pain meds rxed. They don't have the medical records to see the reasons for any of it.

krc1108 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Not Medicaid no just the ER Doctor flagged me with a narcotic seeking care plan for repetitive visits to their ER with stomach pain and each time they haven't been able to find anything wrong which is why he flagged me. I have no went to a whole bunch of different doctors or hospitals ive only ever received pain meds from my current GP.

what I was wondering is there any possibility of me getting unflagged and how do I go about it?

blessedladyptl replied to krc1108's response:
You will need to contact your state Medicaid office and find out exactly why they have done this. You may or may not be able to get it undone. You will have to have your drs help if you're able to get it reversed. You will also have to contact your Medicaid Health Plan.

ok thank you

bad2hurt responded:
Just had shoulder replacement. Last year had knee replacement and two years before that had knee replacement. Have Fibromyalgia and Graves Disease. Have migraine headaches but nothing wrong with head on MRI. Have chronic bladder infection. Doctor prescribed Nucynta for one month until shoulder pain was bearable. But two pharmacies refused to fill saying it was a class 2 drug (even though time released).
I take Percocet for pain other than that for pain but now I'm told that by next year Percocet will be a class two drug and that I'll no longer be able to get it. I don't understand. I'm told its because of Obamacare and drug control issues. I heard a man on CNN say that there were few chronic pain sufferers and he didn't know why they keep coming up with other pain drugs. Has he lost his mind. Doctors don't even know what is going on. What are legitimate chronic pain patients to do that can document their excessive pain?

blessedladyptl replied to bad2hurt's response:
bad2hurt , Percocet is and had been a Schedule II for a long time. Hydrocodone combination products like Norco, Lortab Vicodin and cough meds will be a Schedule II later on this year. Percocet as well as the others have been and will continue to be available. The only difference is that with a Schedule II there are no refills you must have a handwritten rx each time and you cannot receive prescriptions for more than 90 days 3 30 days supply without seeing your dr. There are the Federal Regulations. Although most drs want to see the patients on these meds every 30 days.

There have been changes to the amount of tylenol in these meds and you may no longer be able to get them with more than 325 mg tylenol, but other than that they are the same as they have been.

77grace responded:
Hi krc1108 ,
It's really hard to get off a list if you have been flagged !It's kinda like being black balled,I know cause I;ve been there a very long time ago !I may still be at some hospitals !
I think you mentioned speaking with your Dr's ,it may help but fro what I can tell they all kinda stick togethere !!
I don't understand why noithing shows up in the CT if you are sick,what's wrong ???
I wish you luck and Gods Blessings !
Hang in there , 77grace

krc1108 , there was one thing I forgot to mention. If you're in Pain Management and have a contract or have a contract with any dr stating that you won't get any pain meds from anyone else but him, that could also be the problem. If it is, you will know the next time you see your reg dr for pain rxs. It is also possible that the ER dr lied to you. Some may not agree, but it does happen, especially with Medicaid. The Lock-in program is also used for those services that Medicaid feels a person has used without good medical reason. I have put a link below to explain more.

77grace , Medicaid Lock-In program is the States way of preventing abuse of meds and services.

Drug Diversion in the Medicaid Program-(Put lock-in in the Find part of your browser for only that part)
http://www.cms.gov/Medicare-Medicaid-Coordination/Fraud-Prevention/MedicaidIntegrityProgram/downloads/drugdiversion.pdf

krc1108 replied to 77grace's response:
You said you've been there a very long time ago how did you get off of it and does it follow you to every emergency room? I have a severe case of chrons disease and they say theres no flareups that they can tell and im in remission and that im just there for the dilaudid.

im not in pain management nor do I have a contract with an doctor my GP handles my pain just fine its these random attacks that I had awhile ago that were occurring every 2 weeks or less now it is under control to an extent these attacks of pain are only about every couple months if at all....what do u mean about the ER doctor lying to me?

blessedladyptl replied to krc1108's response:
An ER doc doesn't have your history like your regular dr does. Sometimes the ER docs have a knee jerk reaction to certain things. What I meant was maybe the ER doc lied about the health plan restricting you. If this is the first you're hearing about this you need to ask you GP about it. You can also get the notes from your ER visit to see exactly what the ER doc wrote down. If the ER doc wrote down something that would make other drs that may see you there think you're a drug seeker, you may want to avoid that ER for this problem all together.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.