Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Looking for other ideas to be pain free,,,, what works best for others? Respond with the best for you!
    notthesameshannon posted:
    I have been in pain for almost 20 years, started pain management and surgery-surgeries 4 years ago.. I just had a cervical nerve ablation 8 days ago, and it is awfully painful.. Plus 2 Fusion/Disk Replacements at L5-S1 (Doesn't seem to be working) the second one didn't work. I'm trying to postpone that disk replacement surgery

    I've taken not in order since 2009
    Fentanyl patch
    Tizanadine, like it
    nerve ablation, burning of the nerves

    I also have permanent numbness down the back of my right leg, and have learned to deal with it, HOWEVER!!!! I have been getting searing, awful random pains, that are lasting off and on for longer and longer, some episodes can last up to 12 hours. ANYONE ELSE??

    Thanks for any advice!
    davedsel2 responded:

    I am sorry you are in so much pain and fully understand.

    Living with chronic pain is very difficult and we do need to continue to seek as much relief as possible. However, we also need to accept the fact that we may never be pain free.

    A doctor you may consider seeing is a pan management specialist that is a physiatrist. These doctors go deeper and offer a wide variety of treatments.

    Here is a link to an article that explains what a physiatrist can do for you:

    Another health care provider that may help you is a psychologist or any type of therapist that treats chronic pain patients. This affects our entire beings - mind, body and spirit as well as our family and friends. Many times talking to someone about all these aspects can greatly help us deal with the trials of chronic pain.

    Please come back here to ask questions or just to vent.

    I pray you can find answers and relief soon.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    annette030 responded:
    You may never be pain free, you just ought to be able to lower your pain levels significantly.

    Take care, Annette
    notthesameshannon replied to davedsel2's response:
    I am under the care of pain management and in counseling. I'm wondering if these procedures need redone? The dr office said today that the cervical nerve ablation gets worse about how. I'm at two weeks exactly.

    However now my neurosurgeon says my SI joint left is bad. That's where my lower back pain is worse. Even though I've had two fusions at L5-S1.

    I have severe arthritis on neck and a bulged disc. I also have degenerative disc disease. Thank you so much I just feel so alone. Sometimes when it cones to managing this pain. My husband does not understand!! Haha.

    I appreciate all the tips !!

    An_256876 replied to annette030's response:
    I agree. Just looking for ideas of what has worked best for others so I try all options

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.