Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    My dr, stated in 2010 that I am permanently disabled, curious about SSD? tips should I file?
    notthesameshannon posted:
    I am married and have had 2 fusions, have permanent nerve damage in rt leg with severe random shooting pains. (Debilitating) living with severe daily pain..even though I am seeing Pain Mgmt Dr for 3 years. Nothing seems to be working.

    Friend, Lawyer brought up Social Security Disability,,, I have no idea where to start and does it matter if my husband works?

    Please share!
    davedsel2 responded:

    If your doctor says you can no longer work, then you should contract an attorney in your area that specializes in Social Security Disability. They will help you to gather all the information needed from your doctor(s) and work with you to file your application. The Social Security Administration (SSA) will want all of your test results (MRI, CT scan, etc.) plus forms filled out by your doctors stating that your condition prevents you from working. You will also have to fill out forms that the SSA provides. The basic criteria is that your condition will last more than 12 months and prevents you for working full time at the type of job(s) you have been doing.

    No, it does no matter if your husband works. The SSA looks at the number of credits you have earned throughout the years you worked. Your monthly benefit payment is based on your average income over the last few years before becoming disabled.

    Most applicants get denied the first time and must appeal. That is where an SSD attorney is really essential. The process can take from several months to several years depending on the back-log in your state. I know the SSA has made efforts to streamline the process and get approvals quicker. I live in New York State, applied in June 2008 and was approved in August 2008. My wife applied in September 2013 and was approved in December 2013.

    For more information you can go to and read through the Disability section.

    I pray you can get the process going and get approved soon.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    blessedladyptl responded:
    If you have worked and paid into social security long enough and you qualify for SSDI, your husbands income doesn't matter. If you don't have enough work credits, your husbands income & your resources together do count. SSDI is based on disability & work credits. SSI is based on disability & income & resources.

    Most attorney's won't take social security cases at the initial stage becasue they are paid out of back pay and there isn't much if some is approved at that stage. You can apply for SSDI online or you can fill out a form and mail it in, or do it over the phone. For SSI, you can begin the process online, but you will have to either go into your local office, fill out a form and mail it in or do it over the phone.

    The criteria a dr uses when they say a patient is disabled is not the same criteria SSA uses to find someone disabled. So, just becasue your dr says you're disabled doesn't mean you will be approved. Your medical records need diagnostic test results, treatments tried & their outcome, meds, etc. There also needs to be details of how your daily activities are affected by your impairment. It isn't being disagnosied with an impairment that is important, it is the severity of that impairment. Your age, education & previous work experience are all factored in. If you're under 50, you must prove by the medical evidence that you aren't able to do any jobs that are in the national economy.

    Social Security Website-
    notthesameshannon replied to davedsel2's response:
    Thank you Dave!
    notthesameshannon replied to blessedladyptl's response:
    Thank you! What wonderful advice and information! This is exactly what I needed. My attorney friend did tell me to document pain daily and what I was doing. I have pain doing EVERYTHING and the more procedures I have to fix pain , it gets worse, I am only 42 and have pain since 20's but started surgeries etc to get better at age 39....ugh!

    Again, Thanks

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.