Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Unknown source of pain
jrfalkner posted:
My wife is suffering from ever increasing and often debilitating lower back pain with additional thigh and feet pain. Multiple MRI's, CT scans and a recent nuclear study have not revealed anything abnormal. She has had multiple injections at the L5 and L4 (bi-lateral) without relief. Her primary care physician and neurosurgeon have suggested seeing a neurologist in a large metropolitan area (Methodist hospital in Houston, Baylor hospital in Dallas or Mayo) as they would have a greater probability of seeing a similar condition than one might see in our rural area. Has anyone heard of such a condition?

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
As unsettling as this may sound, doctors often don't know the true causes of many of their patients' pain problems. This can be a source of real anxiety for patients and their caring spouses like yourself. In fact, it has been estimated that for low back pain, that as much as 90% of the time the causes are really unknown. Moving ahead with the recommended neurology consultation certainly sounds reasonable, but I thought it might help to know that your wife is certainly not alone in dealing with pain of uncertain causes.

I also thought you might appreciate reading a recent blog I wrote on this subject for the Huffington Post: http://peterabaci.com/the-pain-of-the-unknown/.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.