Skip to content
This can only HELP!!!
tuloud54 posted:

April30,2012 article Computer can spot pain 85% of the time Smithsonian.com has an interesting article where human could only identify people in actual pain 55% while the computers were correct 85%. It won't be long before they can prove who is actually in pain and who is faking it.This is what we need.Get all the losers who are selling /addicted to these drugs and drs will have no question who is really in pain! This is why we have people begging for help because doctors really have to take our word for it. This computer will get rid of the fraud and people will not be talking about ending their sweet,precious lives. It is so hard for pain to be covered for those in need because f all the people who have no pain.They are literally killing us.I don't think they mean to but when you are addicted,you have no choice. This is Huge in my mind.I offered to take a lie detector for an idiot dr that thought 90% of his patients did not hurt as much as they claimed..This could remove any doubt of who is truly in pain.Hang on folks. Help is coming.Godspeed all. TOM

tuloud54 responded:
2014! Sorry folks

ctbeth responded:
Hi Tom,

Would you please post the link to this article?

I'm a member of the Smithsonian and didn't see this article in the April issue.

Thanks so much.

I wonder what is the factor that the computer can assess that cannot be observed by human senses or objective findings (lab testing of varies factors)

Interesting.

ctbeth replied to tuloud54's response:
And I would be concerned about an inanimate scale of a subjective event.

If the program is able to identify some factor, humans must have programmed that factor into the computer program.

I think I should read the article before I make any more comments, but until then, I'm wondering what is the substance, behavior, chemistry op that the computer program is actually measuring,

tuloud54 replied to ctbeth's response:
Jus google faces in pain.I tried to paste and copy but no can do.Take care of you and yours Beth. Hope you are ok? Tom

An_256614 replied to tuloud54's response:
just more BS

ctbeth replied to tuloud54's response:
Hi Tom,

As an RN, I am familiar with the objective/ observable manifestations of pain.

Is that what the computer is programmed to do, interpret physical manifestations of persons in pain?

If so, I find this disturbing, as health care professionals should be able to assess and document these things without the need for a computer program.

This computer program would cause even more distance between persons experiencing pain and possibly cause more pain.

If my pain is at a pain number 7, and the computer says it is a 4-5, which level would the MD treat?

Personally speaking, of course, I'd rather that health care professionals pay more attention to his/ her patients subjective experience than a computer program spitting out a number.

Also, people like us, who live with daily chronic pain, often don't exhibit the same measurable signs of pain, as we have learned to incorporate pain sensations into our activities of daily living.

I don't think that I grimace with pain any more, and my vital signs don't change too much, other than elevated pulse.

My normal heart rate is on the slow side, so an elevation of pulse to, perhaps 80 beats per minute is still considered within the normal range.

For me, however, that is highly elevated and related to pain.

A computer could miss this, as it is within normal limits, but a skilled practitioner who has worked with me, or read my history, would know that is quote elevated and related to pain.

Of course, a computer program could possibly recognize more subtle signs that a human may miss.

I suppose the objective information, such as computer program assessment of pain, would only be as value able as the professional who integrates this information with the patient's subjective experience.

Food for thought, anyway.

CTB

tuloud54 replied to ctbeth's response:
I thought it was interesting and maybe could help because while your pain may be obvious, a lot of ours isn't. We use tech in a lot of things and frankly, if this keeps someone from killing themselves,I'm all for the help! Drs stink at helping people suffering and if this gets to 100%,what's the harm? It was just information! That's all!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.