Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need generic pain meds for chronic severe pain
An_257405 posted:
I need generic pain medications for severe chronic pain (one long-acting and one short-acting) that I can afford.

I'm taking 60mg of OxyContin 2x a day with 10mg of Percocet x2 four times a day for breakthrough pain. The 60mg of OxyContin only lasts me about 4-6 hrs each, less if I have to work (instead of the 12 hrs it's supposed to work). I told my Dr. that I've been on the Percocet for 2 years and the OxyContin for almost a year. He kept my rX for the Percocet the same, but switched me to 30 mg of Oxymorphone 2x day. The Oxymorphone didn't relieve my pain, so he just switched me back to the OxyContin because he was fed up with having to pre-authorize all of my medications with my insurance. I have an appointment with a new Dr., what are some alternative medications I can ask him to put me on? In the past I was put on Kadian, but it made me nauseous and throw up every day. I wanted to try Fentanyl, but my insurance doesn't cover it. Hydromorphone worked really well for me in the past, but I was only given that after surgery and I don't think this Dr. is willing to prescribe it on a regular basis. My insurance won't cover the OxyContin anymore, so asking my doctor to put me on a higher dosage 3x a day isn't an option. I feel like I'm running out of options and my insurance company is doing everything they can to not cover my meds. I am already out hundreds of dollars I'm trying to get back from meds they were supposed to cover.

Take the Poll

What medication has helped the most with chronic severe pain?
  • Fentanyl
  • Hydromorphone
  • Oxymorphone
  • OxyContin
  • Kadian (Morphine)
vote
View Poll Results

blessedladyptl responded:
The dr is the one who decides what meds you take. A dr may ask what worked for you in the past, but that doesn't mean they will prescribe it. And with so many insurance companies now increasing the paperwork for meds when the diagnosis is non cancer related chronic pain, a lot of drs are getting tired of having to pay someone to do all of the paperwork. So for many people, either they pay out of pocket when they can get it prescribed or they do without it.

annette030 responded:
I take generic methadone for the long acting drug, and generic Oxycodone for the short acting one. They work well for me. Best of luck to you.

Take care, Annette

77grace responded:
Hi ,
I also take generic Methadone for the long acting med and then diluad for break through ! It has helped for over 11 years !
Best of luck ! I think it is very hard to tell the Dr. what you think you want to try !
77grace

ctbeth responded:
I agree with the others.

It is your part to tell your MD about your pain, your current meds, what helps and what makes the pain worse.

Of course, be brutally honest, because the more information that you can share with the MD, the better he or she can do his or her part, which is evaluating your answers, probably ask you more questions, and decide which opiate may be best suited for you.

Brutal honesty included your concerns about the cost of brand- name medicines. Many of the most- widely used opiate meds are available in generic form.

OxyContin was, on the recent past, available as a generic, but is not now. There is a reason for this, but it's a long and somewhat boring narrative, so I'll leave it at this for now.

There is also a rather recent blood test that can assist pain management MDs to identify which opiate agent has the best chance if being effective for your genetic make up.

I hope that it works out well for you.

l3ilani replied to annette030's response:
I've been on the Percocet for 2 years and it doesn't do much for me anymore. My rX is two 10/325's 4x/day. Most of the time it doesn't even help with the pain anymore. It doesn't even take the edge off. As for the 60mg OxyContin I am prescribed 2x/day, they only work 4-6 hrs at most. What is your pain level before and after taking the methadone and how long does it last?

An_257405 replied to 77grace's response:
How long does the Dilaudid work for you and what is your pain level before and after taking it? Dilaudid worked very well for me, but my Dr. said he would only prescribe it for after surgery. Then he reconsidered and said we could discuss putting me on Fentanyl or Dilaudid. Then the day before my appointment, my Dr. got his medical license suspended. If he gets it back, it won't be until next year at the earliest. My appointment with the new Dr. is on the 19th, but it's a consultation to see if he's willing to take me as a patient. I've been told by my Primary Care Physician who knows of this Dr. that there's no way he'll ever prescribe Dilaudid or Fentanyl and he probably will lower my dosage of pain meds because he thinks it's way too much even though my pain level is a 7/10 when I wake up and 8-9/10 after I get home from work. Throughout the day it varies from 5-7/10. I've been trying to make appointments with other Drs in case this one doesn't work out, but haven't had any luck. They're all either not taking new patients, or tell me I have too many chronic pain problems and don't want to help me. Also, 4 other Dr's got their licenses suspended or revoked.

An_257405 replied to ctbeth's response:
I'm always brutally honest with my Dr's, they just don't seem to take it into consideration. Or in the case of my last Dr., what really pissed me off was when the Dr. told me he didn't want to change my meds because he didn't want to bother with the pre-authorization. He finally decided to consider listening to me, then his license was suspended. Pain medication has never lasted as long as it's supposed to with me, and I did have the test to see if I was metabolizing it too fast. The test came back with errors, as me being both a normal and fast metabolizer, which is impossible. Did the test over, and it came back the same, so the Dr. decided I was a normal metabolizer even though I told him the OxyContin that's supposed to last 12 hrs only lasts 4-6 hrs for me and my 10/325 Percocet rX that I take 2 of 4x/day that are supposed to last 4-6 hrs only last about 2 hrs, sometimes less. I have never abused my meds and taken more than I am supposed to. I did get permission from my Dr. one time to take an extra 30mg of OxyContin for 2 days over the weekend when my pain got worse. Then I went back to my regular dose. I just need to find a Dr that will actually listen and help.

annette030 responded:
I take methadone as my long acting opioid, and oxycodone for breakthrough pain. Works for me.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to l3ilani's response:
I need to take the methadone three times a day. The oxycodone does not have acetaminophen in it at all, that is a good thing. I take five, 5mg. tablets at a time, maybe two times a day. The pain management doctor that I consult with says I may need six tablets at a time.

Pain levels are individual, and should be used as a trend for an individual. I am not sure what use they would be to you in this context.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to annette030's response:
Sorry, this is a dumb mistake on my part.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.