Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain control after knee replacement
Anon_2374 posted:
Hi All,Been a long time since I have been here. I have had 8 back surgeries, I have been on MS-Contin for 6yrs. now plus Percoset 8 a day. I take 4- 60 mil. a day of MS-Contin,I am having knee replacement surgery June 25th. The surgeron told me they would have a hard time controlling my pain,I have to see an MD at this hospital where I will have my surgery. They make you do this so the Md I see will take care of my pain because he can do rounds at this hospital. I see him in another week,I could use some help in saying what I need from him. I have had 2 back fusions when I was on MS-Contin before and they just called in there Pain Dr. This hospital does not have one!! I know he just gave me dilaued sp wrong and some Valium to help with the extra pain. I hope you all could give me some answers?? Thank you so much,this site has been such a help for me for many yrs. Sunshine

sunshine90806 responded:
Hi All,It's me again I don't know why the Name Anon_ 2374 is posted above my post?? I am Sunshine from 8 yrs. ago. Thanks

annette030 responded:
Hi, Sunshine

I had surgery several years ago after being on chronic pain treatment including being on narcotics for 15 years. I told the surgeon that my primary doctor prescribed my pain meds and would do so after my surgery, as long as that was okay with her. She still offered me a RX for pain meds on discharge and I declined taking it. I required very little additional pain medicine for a very short time after surgery.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.