Skip to content
Pain control after knee replacement
Anon_2374 posted:
Hi All,Been a long time since I have been here. I have had 8 back surgeries, I have been on MS-Contin for 6yrs. now plus Percoset 8 a day. I take 4- 60 mil. a day of MS-Contin,I am having knee replacement surgery June 25th. The surgeron told me they would have a hard time controlling my pain,I have to see an MD at this hospital where I will have my surgery. They make you do this so the Md I see will take care of my pain because he can do rounds at this hospital. I see him in another week,I could use some help in saying what I need from him. I have had 2 back fusions when I was on MS-Contin before and they just called in there Pain Dr. This hospital does not have one!! I know he just gave me dilaued sp wrong and some Valium to help with the extra pain. I hope you all could give me some answers?? Thank you so much,this site has been such a help for me for many yrs. Sunshine

sunshine90806 responded:
Hi All,It's me again I don't know why the Name Anon_ 2374 is posted above my post?? I am Sunshine from 8 yrs. ago. Thanks

annette030 responded:
Hi, Sunshine

I had surgery several years ago after being on chronic pain treatment including being on narcotics for 15 years. I told the surgeon that my primary doctor prescribed my pain meds and would do so after my surgery, as long as that was okay with her. She still offered me a RX for pain meds on discharge and I declined taking it. I required very little additional pain medicine for a very short time after surgery.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful